Pentair autofill problem and question

Jul 2, 2014
round top, texas
The water supply line broke at the bottom of my autofill. I thought it would be an easy fix as there is a PVC slip fitting that is made with flats so a wrench or socket go on it.To my surprise I found out that the fitting which is threaded into bottom of autofill is glued in at factory. So it looks like I will need to bust concrete and flagstone to put in a new autofill. My question is why does Pentair glue in a threaded fitting? They even give you a spare one with a new autofill unit. Doesn't make sense and looks like whoever is doing the assembly was not trained properly.

Texas Splash

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Hello John! :wave:
Doesn't make sense and looks like whoever is doing the assembly was not trained properly.
I would tend to agree with you as well. While I don't have an autofill, it doesn't seem to make sense. :confused: You would think some Teflon tape or plumber's putty might be enough. If someone else with Pentair-specific autofill experience sees your thread, maybe they'll know something we don't. But I agree, it seems odd.

Have a good TX day.

Yorker

Silver Supporter
Apr 22, 2017
Cathedral City, CA
Hi Johns6,

Did you ever get any other info on this? We're preparing to use Pentair's Autofill for our new build, so your post made me aware of a potential problem. If Pentair gives a spare, I question if the PB glued it? Have you checked with Pentair?