Pentair 520 to DE conversion

May 2, 2013
Dallas area
Is it possible to convert a cartridge housing to a de filter? Are the housings the same across pentair? I know I would need a backflush valve but if possible what else would i need to do?

I need to replace my cartridges and I am trying to determine if a de filter would be a better option.I clean my filters 2-3 times per year. I think I would need to backflush more often but I am not sure.

If possible is this a good or bad idea?

Anthony

Anthony,

I have a couple of DE filters and the CCP 520... I can't see where you will gain anything by changing to DE... :confused:

I got a cartridge filter when we built a pool at my house in Bedford... It turns out a lot of cities in the local area require any DE filter to be plumbed into the sanitary sewer system, you are not allowed to backwash into the street or storm drain... It would have been too expensive to plumb to the sewer, so we went with cartridges... I used to be a DE fan, but find it more of a pain now that I have used the cartridge filter.

I'm sure I could go a whole year between cleanings, but I usually clean the cartridges in the Spring and then again in the Fall.

Of course you can use any filter you want, but I can't see where there is anything to be gained. How old are you cartridges? Are they actually damaged? Why do you believe they need to be replaced?

Thanks,

Jim R.

I just went the other way - converted my DE filter to cartridge. It should be a pretty simple thing as filters are pretty simple, but as you mentioned you will need a backwash valve and may need to replumb inlets and outlets to match.

I personally found DE to be really messy, especially the "deep cleaning", and I always seemed to end up with powder in the pool. And even though I had a 60 sqft filter on a 25k pool, lots of nearby trees and associated pollen/leaves made cleaning/backwahing more frequent than I wanted.

I haven't had the cartridges in place long enough to have an opinion on how well they work compared to DE, but I won't miss the powder.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.