Pentair 011056 Intelliflo pump breaker question.

coinoprus

Aug 24, 2019
Brentwood, California
I get conflicting input on whether I need the Pentair PA220GF breaker for this pump and whether I even need a GFCI breaker. Currently have a Murray W0816ML1125 breaker box and I'm willing to bet it won't take the Siemens breaker, although without looking at the breaker I don't know for sure. Reading the comments in the forum here it appears the consensus is go with the Pentair breaker even if I have to add a Siemens box to the mix. Comments?

C,

All VS pumps generate harmonics that "can" make a GFCI breaker have false trips.. In most cases it is not an issue... So, it makes sense to add the Pentair breaker, just to ensure you do not have the issue.

I believe that all pool pumps are now required to have a GFCI breaker. I see you have the following options.

1. Violate the electrical code and have a possible dangerous pool by just using a standard breaker.
2. Use a GFCI that fits your current load center and only worry about the false trips if they even happen.
3. Install a new load center that will accept the Pentair breaker..

I vote for number 2...

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: coinoprus
Does the breaker box have a label that specifies the acceptable breaker types?

Siemens now owns Murray. So, maybe contact Siemens technical help to see if the Pentair breaker will work with your box.

What is your current electrical configuration?

What about doing a small subpanel at the equipment pad that will accept the correct breaker?

Thanks to all for the feedback. The PA220GF breaker did fit in the box with some repositioning of other breakers and we got everything hooked up and new Intelliflo pump installed successfully. Did have to replace one of the standard dual breakers with a skinny one to get everything to fit. PA220GF breaker is dedicated line for pump only.

BTW, certain Eaton breakers will fit in the Murray box as well.

However I do have one question about the connections to the breaker. The center connection is supposed to be the load neutral connection but there is no neutral connection on the pump itself. There are the two hot leads and a ground connection + the bonding connection. Should the load neutral therefore be connected to the neutral bus? Big lead from breaker GFI is but currently the center connection (D) is not connected to anything. GFI tests good.

However I do have one question about the connections to the breaker. The center connection is supposed to be the load neutral connection but there is no neutral connection on the pump itself. There are the two hot leads and a ground connection + the bonding connection. Should the load neutral therefore be connected to the neutral bus? Big lead from breaker GFI is but currently the center connection (D) is not connected to anything. GFI tests good.

That is correct. The center neutral connection on a 240V GFCI breaker is only used if you are connecting a 120V load. You connect the load 120V neutral to the GFCI breaker and not the neutral bar. That way the GFCI can monitor current through all the wires.

No, you don't connect the center connection to the neutral bus.

There should be a white wire from the breaker. You connect that to the neutral bus.

If the load has a neutral, you connect it to the center connection. If the load doesn't have a neutral, you leave the center connection empty.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.