PebbleTec vs Pebblefina vs plaster

NurseShan

Jan 23, 2020
Lodi CA
Can I please get some advice on all 3. Plaster is what my Pb quoted and now I am having doubts after talking to one of the workers about the life span of plaster. Should I upgrade to the pebbletec? I am liking the pebblefina being smaller pebbles. What are the life spans of all 3?

Isn't the pebblefina a finer texture on the tootsies?

Some folks have written us stating they were a bit surprised and disappointed by how rough the pool bottom felt on their feet. The large pebbles hurt they said. Many others have never mentioned a problem.

The silkiest feeling plaster is just that- plaster without pebbles. But perhaps a shorter plaster lifespan.....I'm not positive??

Maddie :flower:

There are so many variables that can affect a pool surfaces life over a 10 to 20 year period I don't think the expectation of additional longevity in the surface should be a factor in selection.

And the pebble finish costs a 20% - 35% premium over basic plaster. So if plaster lasts 12 years and pebble lasts 16 years you will not have saved much.

Choose a premium finish if you like the feel and look of it - quartz, hydrazoo, pebble, etc. And spend time in a pool with the pebble finish you select as none of them are as smooth as plaster or quartz.

Here is the brochure from PebbleTec, which discusses the 3 levels of pebble they offer:
PebbleTec - This is the original, with the largest pebbles. Per my PB, he said nobody really uses this anymore.
PebbleSheen - Smaller pebbles. This is what we have and what my PB said was the most popular of the pebble finishes.
PebbleFina - The smallest pebbles. This was an upgrade and we didnt really explore this option.

In general, I've heard that pebble lasts longer than plaster or quartz, but obviously is not as smooth.

One other thing to add is that I see quite a few threads on here talking about issues with the coloring of the plaster after it is installed. In my opinion, pebble offers more of a margin for error so that any discolorations are not as noticeable as a smooth surface that is all the same color like quartz or plaster. Its kinda like the difference between textured walls or smooth walls in your house, the texture hides imperfections better than the smooth walls.

I would get samples and pricing for all types of finish to help you with your decision.

Everybody beat me to it. As Allen pointed out, there are too many variables for anyone to claim: pool surface X will last Y years. Water chemistry is the single largest factor. You can ruin a plaster pool in a few years (or even a few months!). You can stretch the life of plaster out for decades with proper care. Installation is also a huge factor (so your PB's worker's warning about early plaster failure does not instill a lot of confidence in his skill!). The numbers I found when trying to decide indicated that pebble would outlast plaster, perhaps as much as 5-15 years. I have no idea on what those "facts" are based on. That seems to be a common consensus.

Nothing feels as nice as plaster. That's a given. The bigger the pebbles, the less comfortable it's going to be. Also a given.

All that said, I selected a small pebble based strictly on longevity. That's what I was told at the time, and what I still believe. In my mind: a rock is going to last longer than plaster, and pebble finishes present more rock to the water than they do plaster. Check back in 30 years and I'll let you know how I did! (That's the lifespan I need to get out of my pool, or I'll have to replaster again!!)

I'm only half joking about that. I included my lifespan in my calculations. How long do you plan to live in the house with your pool? Will you move in 5, 10, 20, 30 years? Is this your "forever house?" If so, how long do you think you have left? Got any heirs? Do you care if they have to deal with replastering your pool? I know that sounds crazy, but if we're talkin' longevity, those are factors to consider. If you think you'll stay in your house no longer than 5-10 years, get plaster and take care of it with what you learn here about TFPC. You won't have to pay for another replaster. I'm in my forever house. In 30 years I'll either be gone or too old to swim. 30 years would have meant two plaster jobs (the first one, and the next one in 15-20 years). In 20 years, plaster will be twice as much as it is now, at least. So I'm gambling on my pebble lasting 25-30 years, including taking extremely good care of it (which I am). That is a stretch, but with TFP I think I can get close. When my daughter inherits the house, the pool will be her problem. If you think you'll move (or otherwise leave the house) in 15 years, I'd guess that's about the threshold for re-plastering (assuming you take great care of it). More than 15? Get pebble.

I'm also not worried about resale, should my plans change. Some do, when they select a finish. I wouldn't. In my neighborhood (in most neighborhoods), a pool does not add any significant resale value. Sometimes it can actually make selling more difficult, as many buyers do not want a pool. So it'd be bad enough I'm gonna give a free pool to the next owner, I'm not going to worry about what pool finish he's gonna get, too! He's not going to pay me any more for the house based on which finish I have, that's for sure. Matter of fact, I got this pool free from the previous owner (based on the comps of surrounding non-pool homes). My pool was about four years old at the time. The plaster was already ruined by the pool guy, who didn't know how to take care of a pool properly. So I got pebble, and I'm hoping for the best.

I don't agree that pebble looks better than plaster. It doesn't, to me. Both plaster and pebble will gain a mottled look over time. I don't think one will show it any more or less than the other. I like that look, so I don't care about that. I stained my brand new finish on day two (sad story, but I was a pool rookie at the time). The stain was obvious (to me), and still is. I don't know that plaster would have made it more obvious. I wouldn't select a finish based on stain-hiding properties. Just take good care of whatever you get and staining won't be much of an issue.

Last edited:
Reactions: ping
Everybody beat me to it. As Allen pointed out, there are too many variables for anyone to claim: pool surface X will last Y years. Water chemistry is the single largest factor. You can ruin a plaster pool in a few years (or even a few months!). You can stretch the life of plaster out for decades with proper care. Installation is also a huge factor (so your PB's worker's warning about early plaster failure does not instill a lot of confidence in his skill!). The numbers I found when trying to decide indicated that pebble would outlast plaster, perhaps as much as 5-15 years. I have no idea on what those "facts" are based on. That seems to be a common consensus.

Nothing feels as nice as plaster. That's a given. The bigger the pebbles, the less comfortable it's going to be. Also a given.

All that said, I selected a small pebble based strictly on longevity. That's what I was told at the time, and what I still believe. In my mind: a rock is going to last longer than plaster, and pebble finishes present more rock to the water than they do plaster. Check back in 30 years and I'll let you know how I did! (That's the lifespan I need to get out of my pool, or I'll have to replaster again!!)

I'm only half joking about that. I included my lifespan in my calculations. How long do you plan to live in the house with your pool? Will you move in 5, 10, 20, 30 years? Is this your "forever house?" If so, how long do you think you have left? Got any heirs? Do you care if they have to deal with replastering your pool? I know that sounds crazy, but if we're talkin' longevity, those are factors to consider. If you think you'll stay in your house no longer than 5-10 years, get plaster and take care of it with what you learn here about TFPC. You won't have to pay for another replaster. I'm in my forever house. In 30 years I'll either be gone or too old to swim. 30 years would have meant two plaster jobs (the first one, and the next one in 15-20 years). In 20 years, plaster will be twice as much as it is now, at least. So I'm gambling on my pebble lasting 25-30 years, including taking extremely good care of it (which I am). That is a stretch, but with TFP I think I can get close. When my daughter inherits the house, the pool will be her problem. If you think you'll move (or otherwise leave the house) in 15 years, I'd guess that's about the threshold for re-plastering (assuming you take great care of it). More than 15? Get pebble.

I'm also not worried about resale, should my plans change. Some do, when they select a finish. I wouldn't. In my neighborhood (in most neighborhoods), a pool does not add any resale value. Sometimes it can actually make selling more difficult, as many buyers do not want a pool. So it'd be bad enough I'm gonna give a free pool to the next owner, I'm not going to worry about what pool finish he's gonna get, too! He's not going to pay you anymore for the house based on which finish you select, that's for sure. Matter of fact, I got this pool free from the previous owner (proven by the comps of surrounding non-pool homes). My pool was about four years old at the time. The plaster was already ruined by the pool guy, who didn't know how to take care of a pool properly. So I got pebble, and I'm hoping for the best.
That was a lot of words Dirk (I'd expect nothing less) but I agree with them all. I chose plaster because there is no assurance we'll be here for the delta between the lifespans. Maybe head to the beach. Based on how my plaster looks/feels after 7 years, I'm expecting 15-20.

That was a lot of words Dirk (I'd expect nothing less) but I agree with them all. I chose plaster because there is no assurance we'll be here for the delta between the lifespans. Maybe head to the beach. Based on how my plaster looks/feels after 7 years, I'm expecting 15-20.
You bring up another consideration, but I don't know how to account for it. Plaster does get rougher with age. Your 10-year-old plaster won't be as smooth as it was new. The plaster that holds pebbles together is somewhat recessed below the level of the pebbles. Does a pebble finish feel the same after 10 years? Or can you feel the roughening plaster below the level of the pebbles. Sorry, I won't know the answer to that for eight years...

I would reckon pebble will maintain a more consistent feel.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.