Pebblesheen Blue Surf...Does it have more imperfections?

kltuck

Sep 6, 2021
Houston Texas
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
I have been going crazy trying to pick the perfect pool color. Finally decided on Blue Surf and my PB warned me that while it is the most popular color, it shows more imperfections. They said this was because it is the darkest of the level 1. If you go with a level 2 it will not show any imperfections. (not in our budget to do that)

I have heard nothing but good things on all these sites about Blue Surf and never read anywhere that they showed imperfections in it. Does anyone have any experience with showing imperfections in their Blue Surf color? Any feedback is appreciated!

~KT

I never heard that Level 2 hides imperfections better than level 1.

I thought that different pool builders have different definitions of what color corresponds to level 1 or 2.
What level 2 color similar to Blue Surf is your builder recommending?

I thought that different pool builders have different definitions of what color corresponds to level 1 or 2.
I've never seen a level system referenced by pebble tec. I also thought that was a builder thing that used demand and popularity to charge more for certain colors.

Reactions: Marc1310 and kltuck

Oh, ok. I actually have no idea. I just assumed it was the manufacturer that dictated the levels. Well anyway, I cannot afford to upgrade to a level 2. So I have to choose between Blue Surf or Blue granite. I wanted the deeper blue of Blue surf...but now I am worried about seeing imperfections.

We had Blue Surf applied in June. It's a beautiful finish and I haven't noticed any imperfections at all. One of the benefits of going with pebbletec is that only authorized installers can do the work. I would think the experience of the installer would impact the imperfections more than the color itself. The attached pic is a closeup of our shelf (with water)

plaster_closeup.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Sman and kltuck
It depends on what you call imperfections. I talked about this in another thread, but the Blue Surf is a *very* blue plaster with mostly translucent stones, with some white, black, and orange mixed in. So it is sensitive to the ratio of pebbles to plaster that is visible. So I have some spots in my pool where the ratio is more plaster than rocks, and they show up as bluer spots than other areas. I don't mind it at all, but it's definitely something that can happen.

You can see some of them in this picture. One to the left of the main drain, about half way to the house shadow. And one to the right, near the tip of the tree shadow.

I think Blue Granite is a bit more in tune with the plaster vs rocks coloration, so spots like this are probably not as obvious.

Reactions: kltuck
I have been going crazy trying to pick the perfect pool color. Finally decided on Blue Surf and my PB warned me that while it is the most popular color, it shows more imperfections. They said this was because it is the darkest of the level 1. If you go with a level 2 it will not show any imperfections. (not in our budget to do that)

I have heard nothing but good things on all these sites about Blue Surf and never read anywhere that they showed imperfections in it. Does anyone have any experience with showing imperfections in their Blue Surf color? Any feedback is appreciated!

~KT
I would ask them to show you specific examples. I have blue surf and don’t see much variation to it. It is one of the more popular colors and I have rarely seen anyone complaining about it.

Reactions: kltuck
I would ask them to show you specific examples. I have blue surf and don’t see much variation to it. It is one of the more popular colors and I have rarely seen anyone complaining about it.
Maybe this is the cynic in me, but this all sounds like a builder trying to pressure people into upgrading into more expensive/higher profit margin colors.

Reactions: BigPapaSmurf

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Maybe this is the cynic in me, but this all sounds like a builder trying to pressure people into upgrading into more expensive/higher profit margin colors.
@Oswald I COMPLETELY understand that reaction. I am a big sceptic at heart too lol. BUT our PB is actually wonderful. This has been the least stressful building process I have ever gone through. The reason they even brought this up to me is because they know how particular and picky I am. I see all the details when I look at things, not the whole picture. So they wanted to make sure I had all the facts before I made my choice. The color of the water is much more important to me than a few "possible" imperfections you can barely see under the water. So I will assume the risk because there is no other color I want at this point. :)

Reactions: KCNM
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.