Pebble vs Plaster

Welcome to TFP.

Pebble is rough. Plaster is smooth. I like smooth.

Pebble pools end up needing to be replastered for many reasons. Both types can last long if well maintained.

We have pebble in our pool. I love the look, but depending on how "pebbly" you get it can be rough on your feet. If I spend a couple hours in the pool playing with the kids I have had small tears appear on the bottom of my feet. Mostly on my big toe from pushing off from the bottom while rough housing with kids. No big deal, but it does happen. Our last house was plaster with no pebble. I prefer the pebble.

Typically a pebble plaster will last longer than a plaster given an equal quality control of the water. Pebble finishes can be found with multiple manufacturers and small or large pebbles. The smaller pebbles are definitely not as tough on the feet.

There are misconceptions regarding pebble. it depends what you install. I had a white plaster pool and did a remodel and installed Primera Stone by Wet Edge Technologies. We selected Blue Pacific as the color. This product has a polished finished. After installing the pebble, the next day they did polishing of the entire pool. They used hand held hydro sanders and made it very smooth. Also, I had some glass shells mixed with the pebble and after polishing they glisten in the sunlight. Wet Edge does make a basic pebble that may be rough but not all pebble finishes are rough. My remodel cost under $9000 and they also installed all new jets and drain covers. I have a free form pool with spa - about 15ft by 27ft (on average). Talk to a reputable PB and inquiry about the various pebble products. When we have friends and family over, there is always positive comments about the look and feel of the pool.

Reactions: Locotl
my pebbletec pool is now 17 years old. Still looks like the day it was installed. been acid washed twice (never let your kids take care of your pool while you are working out of state). There are plenty that are approaching 30 years old without issue (the product has only been available that long). You might get 20-25 years out of a traditional plater job but that is the exception rather than rule. Mine is basic pebble and never had a single person complain it’s too rough. It’s exposed rounded pebbles so there are no sharp edges to cause abrasion.
IMO any of the pebble product is superior to plaster and the extended lifespan will more More than make up for the initial cost increase.

Last edited:
There are misconceptions regarding pebble. it depends what you install. I had a white plaster pool and did a remodel and installed Primera Stone by Wet Edge Technologies. We selected Blue Pacific as the color. This product has a polished finished. After installing the pebble, the next day they did polishing of the entire pool. They used hand held hydro sanders and made it very smooth. Also, I had some glass shells mixed with the pebble and after polishing they glisten in the sunlight. Wet Edge does make a basic pebble that may be rough but not all pebble finishes are rough. My remodel cost under $9000 and they also installed all new jets and drain covers. I have a free form pool with spa - about 15ft by 27ft (on average). Talk to a reputable PB and inquiry about the various pebble products. When we have friends and family over, there is always positive comments about the look and feel of the pool.
Another vote for Primera Stone... its polished pebble to a "plaster-like finish". As expected since its a 2 day process thats labor intensive its pricey.

Who did your replaster? Trying to decide between quartz or mini pebble. Thank you!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Have you looked at the products offered by Wet Edge? We are going with their Luna Quartz Bermuda color on our build, but they have lots of really pretty colors and seem to have great reviews.
This is product I used and very happy with it. We selected Blue Pacific as the color and Primera Stone finish.

This is product I used and very happy with it. We selected Blue Pacific as the color and Primera Stone finish.

That was one of the three we originally picked and we were warned that the more pigment we went with in the quartz the less we would be able to see the colored lights at night time. Have you noticed any difference in your lights with the more blue pigment?

That was one of the three we originally picked and we were warned that the more pigment we went with in the quartz the less we would be able to see the colored lights at night time. Have you noticed any difference in your lights with the more blue pigment?
I do not remember having that discussion. It sounds reasonable. I only have white light. Truthfully, I rarely put my lights on at night as we have surrounding lights. Maybe because my light is old technology and I never really tried to replace with LED multi color type lighting. Furthermore, I only have 1 light in pool and 1 in spa.

I did not know what PPM products were so I looked it up. It appears to be similar to Wet Edge technology or Hydrazzo which are quartz based but I cannot speak to its (PPM) quality, longevity or warranty. Best to find a certified installer and discuss with them.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.