Pebble Tec before/after decking

blazin

Bronze Supporter
Jul 29, 2017
Franklin, MA
Can Pebble Tec be applied before decking? I'm trying to gain some leverage against my PB and one option I have is to have decking installed by a 3rd party. I can tell the PB it can be done sooner, as in 1 month sooner than what they are proposing, but this will leave the PB sitting out in limbo waiting to do Pebble Tec. I'd love it to call them up and say, "Listen, I've got someone else coming to do the the decking, get the rest of the work done including pebble tec and they'll finish decking if that's putting you behind due to resources."

Just want to know if that's acceptable, I know pool industry up here does decking then pebble tec and also collects deposits in this way, but wasn't sure if that was a Pebble Tec applicator license requirement, just an easy way to do things, or what. I know on some vinyl pools decking has to wait.. so not sure why it's different for gunite.

My plaster was done very last. I think you always want this done last. Not that there is any technical reason but the pool is filled as soon as plaster is done and you don't want garbage and overspray going into the pool from having the deck laid after water is in the pool. So my advice is to do the PT last.

Got it.. well that puts me in an interesting situation. If I took decking from PB now, they'd owe US money, and still be on the hook for work. Yea.. really not interested in that fun filled adventure. Imagine that, a PB writing me a check? HAH!

In either case you run the risk of damaging the decking or the pebble so it really comes down to proper preparation. What kind of decking is being installed? We had Koolcote with a sanded expansion joint and it was done after the pool was finished. They charged a few hundred dollars to put heavy plastic "drop cloth" over the pool and the only downside was some sand from the sanded expansion joint in the pool (not a big deal). If it's a stone patio and they are doing a lot of cuts, then all that dust is going right in the pool, so I'd do pebble last. Personally, I would be more worried about the pebble guys making a mess on my new decking and trying to cover the decking to protect it might be harder than slapping plastic on the pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.