pebble sheen is eating up my robot

tstex

Silver Supporter
Aug 28, 2012
Houston, TX
Hello to all,

I have used JB Weld before, but it does not seem to last all that long. All four corners of my robots base have long worn holes from where it scrapes/rubs on the prbble sheen steps and other. Has anyone come-up w a solution or has a recommendation on what to patch up these holes with that are more durable? As far as looks, aesthetics are no longer a criteria; only functionality and durability.

Thank you very much !!

Something needs to be sacrificial. You can epoxy some metal bumbers on your robot but then it may damage the pebble finish.

Post pics of your robot for us to see what you are dealing with.

What about rubber table corner protectors ?

They make a bazillion sizes and styles to protect both tables and toddlers noggins. I bet with some searching you can find something that will glue in place, cut to size if need be and not impede any robot function.

Here’s a few pics. These really aren’t corners and the cuts would have to be very precise not to impede the rollers. The lengths seem to be about 1.25” w a max width of 1/4”

Thanks for the suggestions.

Attachments

• AB4BC325-B810-4B1D-8915-C892BB0E2028.jpeg
    AB4BC325-B810-4B1D-8915-C892BB0E2028.jpeg
    402.4 KB · Views: 40
  • 6F085B95-34DB-4929-B65C-1524DC439C06.jpeg
    6F085B95-34DB-4929-B65C-1524DC439C06.jpeg
    316.4 KB · Views: 39
What robot model is that?

Can you take a wider shot, the close up makes it hard to see exactly where the damage is.

The sides are one solid piece and would be hard to replace.

Not sure what type of glue would hold underwater for long durations. Here’s a larger perspective pic.

Thanks again

PS Model QV Shark, Hayward

Attachments

• A92A9083-CFAD-4EAA-95CC-2F5577FCB131.jpeg
    A92A9083-CFAD-4EAA-95CC-2F5577FCB131.jpeg
    629.5 KB · Views: 42
Honestly, I wouldn’t do anything if the function of the robot isn’t impaired. Anything you add there is simply going to wear down and add debris to the pool. Clearly that robot is not well designed in terms of its outer form if it can wear away like that. Hayward needs to do a better job. The treads are pretty worn out too which probably exacerbates the issue. Just leave it alone until it breaks and then get a Dolphin.

Clearly that robot is not well designed in terms of its outer form if it can wear away like that. Hayward needs to do a better job. The treads are pretty worn out too which probably exacerbates the issue. Just leave it alone until it breaks and then get a Dolphin.
Yes Matt, it's either a poor design or the areas in question should have been made of tungsten...I made design requests to Hayward on both this and their EcoStar VSP design but they did not listen to me. lol

This shark was first tossed into the pool in 3/2015, and since then, this is what was required to replace:
-roller bearings
-handle
-handle
-more roller bearings
-50 ft cord
-motor
-tract
-on-off switch
All the above w in 3 yrs while under warranty

-impeller
-all bearings again
- both rollers
-tract 2
all out of warranty

Replacing those tracts and putting them back on was really fun

Yes, next time I need to replace a part on this, I will go w a dolphin.

Thanks

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Wow. That’s a lot of warranty repair. I think dolphins are designed better with large front drive wheels and wide treads so that the robot body doesn’t contact the plaster. There are still some worn spots on my robot but nothing major like yours. Dolphins can be expensive to repair too but I got about 5 solid seasons out of mine before anything major needed repair …. Knock on wood ….

The sides are one solid piece and would be hard to replace.

Not sure what type of glue would hold underwater for long durations. Here’s a larger perspective pic.

Thanks again

PS Model QV Shark, Hayward
Part of your damage is due to your tracks being very worn . Those nubs are originally quite a bit higher. I would atleast flip around the tracks so the thicker side of the nubs are to the outer edge of the robot but better would be to get a new set of tracks altogether. The worn corners can be built up with marine epoxy and take advantage of the roughness for adhesion. JB WELD makes a product called fiber bond which you can use from the inside of the worn area so you can build it up. Repair it in layers with the marine epoxy and then file it down close to the original contour.

thanks again guys...I will have to wait until my wife goes out of town before I flip or replace those tracks..she's not fond of loud verbiage. I will replace the robot b4 spending any more on parts, but some marine epoxy or JB weld I could use again for other things...When I go to my ranch, I have some really good, pliable metal screen w 1/32" sq holes that I can use as a base material. When I finish her, I'll post a few pics.

Finally, what is the go-to Dolphin these days? We have peeble-sheen [good thing we did not get p-tech], entry steps and 2 benches, so a lot of 90's. Also, the shark gets stuck or cannot pass by the return eyes. Do the dolphins handle these better. Also, do the dophins get stuck on the drains? This is my biggest complaint. if I need to start a new thread, let me know? Thank you gent's.

Finally, what is the go-to Dolphin these days
Whatever one Marina can get you in under 6 months. Some days it changes by the hour. The 200 series and it's armada of clones cleans as well as all the upgraded ones. They just have more bells and whistles like a caddy and Bluetooth.

I have regular PebbleTec (got sick of spending more $$$ on “upgrades” every time the PB showed up and talked to the wife …) and my S300i has been banging around my pool for 5 years now. It has scuffs and scratches from the rough aggregate surface but nothing as bad as what you have there on that Hayward bot. I have a sun shelf and two small benches but only one really sharp corner in the pool.

Now is not the time to spend any money on pool equipment. Whatever stuff you can find is marked up. Keep that bot going another season and hopefully the supply chain issues will get better ….

Reactions: tstex
Made a decision

In keeping w not investing significantly in my current robot, I can get this JB Water Weld for under $5 and it can patch all four holes easily, along with surface area around the holes. My main concern was that if these parts are completely worn away, the next things are the rollers. I'll post back soon w some updates but this seems to be the most cost effective solution at this time, esp w the supply chain so choked. W the internat'l events that just occurred, who knows how long ordering a new robot would take?

Spec's
  • J-B WELD WATERWELD: A hand mixable two part epoxy putty stick, that can cure under water and is ideal for repairing plumbing, fuel tanks, tubs and showers, drains, pool and spa, boats & potable water tanks and more! J-B Weld WaterWeld is certified by the NSF and is safe for contact with potable water.
  • CURE AND SET TIME: After kneading the two part formula together by hand, WaterWeld takes 25 minutes to set and cures in 1 hour. J-B Weld WaterWeld set and cure color is off white.
  • PRODUCT FEATURES AND STRENGTH: J-B Weld WaterWeld has lap shear strength of 1300 PSI, can withstand continuous temperatures up to 300F (149C) and intermittent temperatures of 350F (176 degrees Celsius) and is chemical resistant against petroleum, hydraulic fluids and other chemicals when fully cured.
  • SURFACE APPLICATIONS: Iron & Stainless Steel, Copper & Brass, Aluminum & Bronze, Fiberglass and Plastic & PVC, "and deteriorating Hayward Sharks that were poorly designed."

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.