Pebble Sheen being shot tomorrow. What to expect?

Nov 21, 2016
Melbourne, FL
My wife and I are excited, we have a house that has a mid 1980's pool. Nothing fancy, mostly a "play pool" from the '80s with an 8 ft deep end. When we bought the house in 2009, the pool had a fiberglass resurface over gunite. The pool was fine, but then about 4 years ago people started itching when they rubbed the sides, the last two years people were itching after just getting in it for 5 minutes. 5 minutes of swim meant a day of itching.

Once they drained our pool to refinish it, we could see why. The fibers were clearly exposed. We got the fiberglass blown off with a water blaster, new tile, and are getting Blue Granite PebbleSheen shot tomorrow. We are looking for what to expect while this surface cures, I removed our salt cell and won't "salt" the pool until at least 90 days out. We've been checking the bond kote every few hours, unfortunately a worm met its demise on our bond kote. :-(

Welcome to TFP!

First, register your pool warranty, Product Registration Pebble Tec

They will send you start up documents for your pool. In the meantime you can review this, Pool Care Instructions Pebble Tec

The most important thing is to maintain your pH between 7.5 and 7.8 at all times to prevent scaling or etching. More here, Pool School - Calcium Scaling. New plaster will push your pH up so keep an eye on it.

You only need to wait 30 days to add salt, but 90 is fine too. No heater for 30 days too.

For water care start here, ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
And here, Pool School - Getting Started

Here are a couple of articles about new plaster
Pool School - Start-up New Plaster
Start-up Chemistry for Plaster Pools

I love my Pebble Sheen finish. I had been warned it could be rough, but the crew did a great job. We were instructed to brush twice a day even though they acid washed. Were told that was so it would cure smooth and deposits would not harden on the finish. If you're around and get to watch, it's quite the process to see it installed. It may be like all pool plaster, but the only time I've ever seen one done.

Yeah, I'm going to be home when they do it. I also have a time lapse setup on my security cameras that has recorded the whole remodel job. I am certainly going to brush this thing well, I'm looking forward to seeing how the finish turns out. I hear that it changes color over time while curing.

I love my Pebble Sheen finish. I had been warned it could be rough, but the crew did a great job. We were instructed to brush twice a day even though they acid washed. Were told that was so it would cure smooth and deposits would not harden on the finish. If you're around and get to watch, it's quite the process to see it installed. It may be like all pool plaster, but the only time I've ever seen one done.

We jumped in ours before it was completely full. It is fine to swim the first day, especially with Pebblesheen because it is cured 24 hours and acid washed before fill starts. I don't know about the 65° water though! :shock:

It was really cool to watch. The blue granite goes up really blue, where you can't see the aggregate. Then they hit it with a high pressure water mist and BAM out comes the aggregate. I was very impressed, the pool is drying right now.

I'm sure my neighbors love the slurry trailer in the street, drying for them to pick up tomorrow. Tomorrow they acid wash and fill.

Yeah, I'm going to be home when they do it. I also have a time lapse setup on my security cameras that has recorded the whole remodel job. I am certainly going to brush this thing well, I'm looking forward to seeing how the finish turns out. I hear that it changes color over time while curing.

SWEET! Another FL person!! We would LOVE to see before and after pics of your pool and area!

Danny has you well covered with your questions. Make sure to ask any other questions you might have.

Did the PB give you a test kit? If not you really need to get one. Yeah I know the Pool $tore will test your water for "free" BUT is it really free if you walk out of there with $$$ stuff?

Look in my siggy below to find the test kit I think is the best bang for the buck. It has more of the regents we use daily. Testing is easy and fun to do. I was so worried I would not be able to do it I bought my test kit BEFORE I go the pool LOL. Once I saw I COULD do the tests I got the pool! There are videos and the people here at TFP to help if needed.

Kim:kim:

Thanks Kim, You can't live in Florida without a pool. Here is the ultimate before photo, my wife won't let me post any photos or share with friends till there is water in it. This photo was from when we bought the house 7.5 years ago.
View attachment 55713

It didn't look like this for more than a day, when I chlorinated it (with 9 jugs of liquid chlorine), I realized that we had little friends living in there when hundreds (or thousands) of frogs, tadpoles and tadpoles with legs started floating to the surface.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
...my wife won't let me post any photos or share with friends till there is water in it.

I get that for "normal" folks who wouldn't know what to make of in-progress photos. But are we normal? You be the judge.

We are all about helping people throughout the process. So shouldn't we be rewarded with in progress pics? :)

I get that for "normal" folks who wouldn't know what to make of in-progress photos. But are we normal? You be the judge.

We are all about helping people throughout the process. So shouldn't we be rewarded with in progress pics? :)

OK, you made me feel guilty for not posting some in-process pictures, so here you go. My wife will KILL ME!

View attachment 55717

This is our dry season too, and we have that much water coming through the hydrostatics.

The "Before", this is when I was hosting the world's largest Margarita party, hence the salt. :) I don't have a whole lot of pix of the pool by itself, but I thought salting it was fun 6 months ago and I took a pic. :)

View attachment 55726

OK, Here is it when I got home, a little late in the day filling. I tested my fill water and of course the alkalinity is through the roof!

LOL on the salt! Make mine Strawberry please!

I love the step marker! Is it one of your tiles? That is going to be so pretty when it is filled.

Just in case you have not read this I will tell you that your water might look at little green in the beginning. As you brush (twice a day) and the water gets balanced the true color will come through!

Have you seen this link? Pool School - Start-up New Plaster

Please note the 30 days no swimming depends on what kind of start up your PB used. It looks like he did the acid wash and fill. If so you can jump in when your PB says to.

Do you have a good test kit yet?

LOL on the salt! Make mine Strawberry please!

I love the step marker! Is it one of your tiles? That is going to be so pretty when it is filled.

Just in case you have not read this I will tell you that your water might look at little green in the beginning. As you brush (twice a day) and the water gets balanced the true color will come through!

Have you seen this link? Pool School - Start-up New Plaster

Please note the 30 days no swimming depends on what kind of start up your PB used. It looks like he did the acid wash and fill. If so you can jump in when your PB says to.

Do you have a good test kit yet?

We have a cheapie test kit right now, but we will order the TF-100 soon (This site is way too fun, gotta support it). I'm focused on getting this fill done. Our PT installer acid washed it and pressure washed it. I already knew I needed a new skimmer weir, now I really do since its now in 3 pieces. Since tomorrow is thanksgiving, and PH and Alkalinity are important we got two gallons of acid and 4 lbs of baking soda.

We were 50/50 on the spotter tiles for the steps, once we saw them in the steps, we were in love. It blends the waterline tile into the pool steps. Yes, they are our waterline tile cut in quarters. Our PB cut 8, and the PT installers tried to install all 8. I told them we wanted 1-2-3.

The PT installers said that we can walk on it immediately, but i'm very careful. He said to move the hose every few hours, so we're doing that. With our water pressure it's going to take about 25 hours to fill.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.