Pebble plaster mix?

CA_Tallguy, it doesn’t generally need to be waterproof. It just needs to stay in place. If it’s a small area like that it’ll be easy. Cut some slots into the concrete with an angle grinder and it won’t fall out.

I spoke to pros about waterproofing first and they told me if I do that then I can forget about them warranting any work they do. Pebblecrete sticks well to concrete/cementiious shell. Less so to waterproofing membranes.

The admixes the professionals use aren’t for waterproofing typically, they’re to aid workability and adhesion.

Use your cement and pebbles (and some acrylic admix if you want) and patch away. Trowel it flush with the existing and then expose pebbles when it’s ready. Practice various mixes on some concrete. I practiced on cheap concrete pavers until I could do it and was happy with colour.

Please note that with the PVA you shouldn’t apply it as a layer on its own, you can only use as an admix with cement. PVA re emulsifies in water so if you’ve applied a pure layer of it you risk it delaminating.

You seem to have pebbles. Go buy a bag of cement and mix up a batch and have a go. Do that prior to trying out admixes.

Reactions: CA_Tallguy
Here's a pretty detailed training video for StoneScapes. It is interesting to see how much they work over and compact/smooth the material.

Last edited:
Well this seems to have worked out well.... as long as it hangs on and doesn't crumble to pieces!
IMG_8580.jpgIMG_8599.jpgIMG_8603.jpgIMG_8607.jpg
The PebbleTec on the one stool there was delaminating from the half facing the camera so we stripped the entire stool down to a cut just above the curve from the floor. See the final pic posted above for how well it blended! Photos were taken before our final rinse, but I still didn't go crazy with the rinse as it was looking so good I was terrified of screwing it up. Maybe tomorrow I'll try to clean some with acid but chances are I'll just leave those areas as-is.

We ended up using NPT's stone instead of the fish tank rock -- 11 parts "gold" to 1 part "black" pebble. Basically a perfect match to our Pebble Tec. I woke up this morning thinking that we could reduce a bit of uncertainty by going with NPT's aggregate and there was little reason not to use it. Mostly, I wondered if the the NPT rock might be more optimized for this use, perhaps even more jagged than the very smooth fish tank rock to better interlock and be held by the concrete.

We added in some NPT's LOBO product for pozzolans and other admixtures. I also used Sika Latex R for a bonding slurry and replaced SOME of the water in the mix with it too. We also used just a smidge of Quikrete accelerator and that worked out pretty well.... not too fast and I wouldn't have wanted it any slower.

For color, we used La Habra stucco color from a big box store and did a bunch of tests with a few colors and strengths. In the end, we either got super lucky in hitting it just right and/or the concrete color is far less important compared to the aggregate -- as long as the aggregate is tightly compacted to the point little concrete is showing.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.