Pebble plaster mix?

tomfrh

Jan 30, 2018
Australia
I want to try pebblecreting our spa. I've done rendering, and have seen them do pebble application, and would like to try myself. What's the actual mix they use? I know it contain cement and pebbles, but am not sure what else, and am not sure of the ratios.

Any help would be appreciated!

kimkats

Mod Squad
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 10, 2012
Tallahassee, FL
Well this is an interesting question. I don't think you can just buy this and that to make the plaster up but I am not sure so will call in someone who may know. @bdavis466 any input?

d_red1

Jul 21, 2016
Keller, TX
What's the actual mix they use? I know it contain cement and pebbles, but am not sure what else, and am not sure of the ratios.
I think that is probably a well protected trade secret and you might as well be asking for the recipe for Coke or what the Colonels 11 secret spices are. Obviously the basis is cement and pebbles but then there are probably a bunch of admixtures we never heard of and have no way of sourcing. Are you wanting to do it yourself to save money or is it just something you are interested in trying? (full disclosure, I am a big do it yourself-er and won't pay somebody to do something I can figure out how to do myself. however, even I would draw the line at self plastering a pool or spa.)

tomfrh

Jan 30, 2018
Australia
D_red,

Yes I suspect it’s a bit secret.

The main question I have is the ratios of pebbles to cement, and whether any sand is added. I’ll probably add some acrylic/latex admix to improve adhesion/workabilty.

I’ve seen a few references of 2:1 pebbles to cement, which makes sense, although I was expecting fines as well.

I might go look at a few pools with a magnifying glass and inspect the composition.

It is just something I am interested in trying. Saving money is a bonus.

tomfrh

Jan 30, 2018
Australia
I have been told the usual mix is pebbles, cement, and sometimes PVA admix (e.g. cemstik or bondcrete). Pebble to cement ratio from 2:1 (2 pebble 1 cement) to 1:1. More cement is reportedly stronger.

I will do some test batches and see if it's feasible or if I'm kidding myself.