Pea green and frustrated

The issue with changing the sand at this point is we've yet to get a true OCLT result reported yet. IF the OP started at a 15FC level last night and dropped to 8FC today it shows a good bit of Baqua still hiding somewhere (ladders, skimmer, Lights). You want as much of this Baqua-Goo converted before changing the sand. If the OP were to change the sand now, and there was a large amount of Baqua-Goo still in the water, the new sand could be contaminated before the conversion was complete. A good OCLT will hint to where the Baqua levels truly are.

The reason we suggest no CYA to be added during the conversion is that you want as much of the chlorine to remain active to convert the Baqua as possible. At the beginning of the conversion the process consumes the chlorine much faster than does the sun. Towards the end however you can get away with adding only at night to save a few bucks.

Ok - sun is going down so my FC should be holding a lot better now. During the day it is gone in what seems to be an instant. Just a checking question when I am looking for the drop of 1 ppm or less over night. The filter should be running - right?

Been checking each hour and I am getting a consumption of 1 ppm in each hour. Then I remembered you mentioning scrub everything. Took my handy toothbrush and went at the light and the return. Made my way to the skimmer. It looked ok but I decided I was going to be very thorough. Took the skimmer door off. Pulled the foam off the door. My what a wonderful shade of green there was on the back side of that door. Took it apart. Scrubbed the the heck out of it. There wasn't that much there and I do not know how much there has to be to cause a drop like that. It is gone now. I will check the FC in a little while.

Good Morning. Tested last night 15 ppm. Went to bed. Got up before sunrise. First test 14 ppm, second test. 13.5 ppm, third test 14 ppm. Why the variation? maybe drop size? The amount of powder doesn't matter. I was using a single scoop - not level.

I think we are done. The only thought I had was the hoses running to the pump and from the filter to the return. They are flexible plastic. Ribbed looking - lots of places for stuff to hide in those. Thoughts? Am I over thinking this?

I meet the OCLT so the next step is filter media change and then stabilize.

I'd say use the 2 readings and go with 14ppm. Sounds like you passed this step. Change out the sand and add the CYA. Keep the FC level at 15 until your CC's stay below 0.5 or less. Normally it doesn't take that long to meet this next "requirement."

Congrats! Enjoy your "new" pool.

OK Sand is changed out. I just added 28 oz. of powdered CYA to the skimmer. My understanding is that this will take a couple of days to show up. No backwashing for a few days. The only numbers I have right at this moment are:

TA = 140
PH = 7.2 -> I added 16 oz of sodium carbonate
FC = 11
CC = 0
CYA = just added 28oz dry

As I noted I just added sodium carbonate to move my PH up to the 7.4 level. CYA will pull that lower correct?
What about the TA number?

For future info, you might want to use an old athletic sock to use in your skimmer or in front of a return instead of pouring it in a skimmer. That should help it dissolve quicker without any ending up in your filter. Squeezing it often will speed up the dissolve process even quicker.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok now I am confused. My pool store guy said dump it in the skimmer. So I did. Was it supposed to be in a sock? At this point I would be inclined to say that 100 percent is in my filter. I assumed that once it got into the filter it would get lodged and dissolve in there.

Ok - What do I need to see for the next step. I will probably check my CYA in the morning just to see where I stand.

Tonights numbers.
FC = 14
CC = .5
TA = 150
PH = 7.4
CYA = just added today, will check in the morning

I would sure like to get that TA number down. FC is high but that will settle out over the next couple of days. I am assuming with some CYA in the pool now the burn off during the day will not be so drastic.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.