Pea Gravel around Above-Ground Pool?

Jun 30, 2010
Hi everyone :) We have soft-sided above-ground Splash pool. The foundation is fine sand on solid ground, with a plastic sheet between the pool and the sand. The legs are resting on plywood strips on the sand to help keep them from sinking in. The whole foundation is surrounded with wood.

Im wondering about covering everything with pea gravel around the pool, to help keep the kids from tracking sand into the pool, and to give the foundation a nicer appearance. Should I be concerned about any wear and tear from the pea gravel resting against the sides of the pool? The pool doesnt move so its not as if the pool material would be rubbing back and forth on any hard gravel.

Other suggestions welcome, if pea gravel isn't the best choice. Thanks!

(in these photos, the pool is only half full, so the sides are leaning a bit... its full now :)

Melt In The Sun

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Oct 29, 2009
Tucson, AZ
Pea gravel would probably be fine, but I'd use river rock if it's not too expensive for you. Pea gravel is light enough to stick to feet (especially wet ones), plus it hurts to walk on!

chezhed

Mar 3, 2009
Mission, TX
We have an inground pool and flagstone around part of it that we laid and originally put pea gravel in between. It was temporary....for two years :mrgreen: I finally replaced it with Gator Dust, but not because of any real gravel problem, but because stuff kept growing in it!
We did track in the occassional piece of pea gravel but it was easily spotted on the sun ledge and just pick it up and throw it back out.

I concur that something just a bit larger like small river rock might be better. It also won't have stuff growing in it as easily.

Jun 30, 2010
ah, I didnt think weeds would grow well in pea gravel, but as long as there's no real risk in wear to the pool, I'll go with river rock :) thanks!

Melt In The Sun

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Oct 29, 2009
Tucson, AZ
We used to have a whole yard of pea gravel, and it grew weeds like crazy. It holds water pretty well, whereas bigger stuff like river rock doesn't.

Other Threads of Interest