PCB replacement burned

MarneFranklin

Jun 6, 2020
South Carolina
My old Aqua Rite Goldline SWG board died, so it was time for a replacement. I purchased the Hayward OEM board from a local store and installed it. I checked the power and kept the jumper on 2 and 3 to match the old board setup. When installation was done, everything powered up normally but within five minutes there was smoke and the two blue discs on the lower left near the power connections are at least partially melted. What did I do wrong? Is there any chance of fixing those pieces or is another new board in my future? Thanks!

Last edited:
Welcome to TFP.

Post pics of your burnt board and the discs that melted.

@JamesW

My old Aqua Rite Goldline SWG board died, so it was time for a replacement. I purchased the Hayward OEM board from a local store and installed it. I checked the power and kept the jumper on 2 and 3 to match the old board setup. When installation was done, everything powered up normally but within five minutes there was smoke and the two blue discs on the lower left near the power connections are at least partially melted. What did I do wrong? Is there any chance of fixing those pieces or is another new board in my future? Thanks!
Sounds like the Varistor took the hit! You did not do anything wrong if the board powered up normally for five minutes. Do you have a warranty on the replacement board?
The final failure mode of the MOV will be an open state. Either you cut the legs or leave it as is and see if the mainboard still works. Make sure the incoming AC voltage satisfies the jumper setting on the board.
If all is well, replace the Varistor "V150LA2P"
More here > Hayward Aquarite SWG - Further Reading

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.