Bronze Supporter
Apr 15, 2020
Pageland SC
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I removed my booster pump a long while back, rewired it for 110v use and put a 110v 20 amp plug on the end of it, so that I could use it for other things (I was using a robot and no longer using the pressure cleaner).

I'm now probably going to buy a pressure cleaner and go back to that.

Is there any good reason I can't continue using the booster pump configured to run on 110v? It will use the same wattage either way. I guess it will be a little more efficient on 220v but I'm not sure.

Last edited:
You should get a pressure cleaner, not a suction cleaner, to use with a booster pump.

The PB4-60 pump wired for 120 volts and connected to a 20 amp using 12AWG wire will work fine.

Reactions: mwemaxxowner
For $130 more I would get the Polaris 380 which I think is a more powerful cleaner.

For $130 more I would get the Polaris 380 which I think is a more powerful cleaner.
From my limited research, the 280 is their most simple, basic, and longest lasting with the least maintenance cleaner. That was my biggest reason for considering the 280. I don't want something else that's gonna need major repairs every 2 years.

The one that was in this pool when we took it over was one of the belt drive models and needed a full rebuild, but I don't know how long it took it to get to that point.

If I can count on the 380 to give a good service life I'll put it on the list.

My pool came with a 14 year old 380 that was in the pool not working. Some new bearings, belts and hose got it working again no issues. All those parts are also in the 280 afaik.

The old hose - most expensive replacement part - was fine in summer but not in winter (we keep it open). Too stiff.

The 280 is shaft driven.
How often do you need to replace belts or bearings?
Since July 2020, no issues. I didn't know what a Polaris was before then :) Belts are fairly cheap and take about 10 minutes to replace. I think the idea is to drive all three wheels.

The bearings are the same in 280 and 380. The cages are plastic. When they wear the balls escape. Taking enough apart to get at them all was about an hour going very slow to make sure I didn't break anything.

From reading here I've seen reports of maybe 5 to 10 years before needing significant parts replacement. You could probably get the best comparison from a repair person who works on both.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.