PB4-60 Pressure - how much head at the end of the Polaris hose?

Solved: I found someone else in the neighborhood with a working Polaris,
and did the head test: ~5 feet!
(so that would be 2.3 PSI, rather that 23 PSI)

Which means I have a problem somehow in the pump...

Probably upgrade to the [quieter] PB4SQ booster pump
(unless someone convinces me that the electric robots are not the hassle their documentation suggests...)

Last edited:
James, thanks for the details.

I believe the test was sufficient to confirm that the pump is not producing the needed pressure.

Do you think there are any potential "fixes" to the old pump/motor?

Or is replacement the indicated solution?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
No video. suffice to say that there's not enough water/pressure going out.
wimpy stream when trying to backup (and the aforementioned 2ft stream out the hose)

The pump is ~3 moving parts: the rotor [and pro'ly some bearings?], the seal and the impeller.
Seal & impeller are new, and the noise is now/again the usual moderate PB4-60 noise,
so the question is: Is there anything fixable? or just get a new motor/pump?

Is there anything fixable? or just get a new motor/pump?
I don't think that you have conclusively diagnosed that the pump is defective.

Like you say, it is relatively simple.

So, what is not working?

Is the impeller spinning at the correct speed?

Why was the impeller replaced?

Are you sure that you got the right parts?

There are at least two different models of the same pump based on the year.

New model Polaris PB4-60 Booster Pumps have Serial Numbers beginning with "PB" and a manufacturing date on or after Dec 1, 2011.

Older models of the PB4-60 Booster Pumps were discontinued as of Nov 30, 2011.

There is an older model PB4-60 and a newer model PB4-60. The newer model (PB4-60s after serial number PB120111001)

The older model (PB4-60s prior to serial number M120111001)

There is an older model PB4-60 and a newer model PB4-60. The newer model (PB4-60s after serial number PB120111001) uses part number R0445500 (Polaris Mechanical Seal) whereas the older model (PB4-60s prior to serial number M120111001) use part number P55 (Polaris Seal, Stainless Steel Cup and Spring).

For the older model, the stainless steel cup goes in the bracket/seal plate with the black graphite part pointing out. The rubber part goes in the impeller with the ceramic sticking out. A 1" PVC coupling fits perfectly over the cup to help insert the stainless cup into the bracket/seal plate.

For the newer model, the rubber part goes in the backplate/sealplate/bracket with the ceramic sticking out, while the spring part goes on the impeller with the black graphite part sticking out.

Note: New model Polaris PB4-60 Booster Pumps have Serial Numbers beginning with "PB" and a manufacturing date on or after Dec 1, 2011.

Older models of the PB4-60 Booster Pumps were discontinued as of Nov 30, 2011.

New impeller R0536400, seal R0445500, oring R0536600.

Old impeller P15, seal P55, oring P95.

Well, yup; i've been repairing this pump for 20 years (it's the pre-2011 model)
The seal is the one with the steel cup and using the 1-inch "insertion tool" [aka pvc pipe]
The impeller was replaced because when the seal melted down, the rubber congealed onto the impeller.

So I guess the answer in regards "fixable" parts are the seal and the impeller.
Are there 2 versions of the impeller? (for pre/post 2011)
The new impeller could be the wrong one, i suppose;
(although the backup/retractor, and therefor the overall pressure, was not working well even before the new impeller)

Ok, thanks; Amazon confirms I got the P15 (i've been holding it for 2 yrs)

So: the wheels spin a bit slowly, and without torque; the backup device does not pull the sweeper; the hose only squirts 2 ft of stream;
Can we conclude that the pump is not delivering as it ought?

After 25 yrs (and the joyful/subtle background noise <sarcasm/>), it's time to say "thank you for your service" ?

Next I'll be looking for opinions for a new pump...

I've replaced all the above ground pipe, the only 'original equipment' is the ~20-ft of 1" PVC underground to the wall outlet.

I suppose there could be a tree root that has infected that...
Maybe i'll run a snake up there just to see.

So YES, the pump was delivering low pressure; the root cause was:
The Polaris plastic interconnect hose was collapsing (a bit) on the suction side of the pump.
[A slow degradation... hard to detect]

Quick fix: reverse the two hoses, so the weak/collapsing hose is on the pressure side;
Now the Polaris sweeper is happily climbing the walls, and the backup works.
No need for a new pump/motor, and it's running quiet again!

Thanks for all the great ideas from TFP.

Reactions: JamesW
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.