Riverside, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Truclear / Ei
Day one of startup he tests all pool house equipment, checks auto fill, does a quick clean and adds some large white granules into the skimmer basket. I ask what are you adding? He says acid. Then he says I know pool chemistry blah blah blah. He says your water is green and you might have metals in the fill water. Sequestrant is $140 if you want it. Water may clear up in 3 days when I return without it.

He comes back today and says yeah you have metals. Cost is $170 if you want me to treat it. I say what happened to $140? Well the chemicals are more expensive than I thought. Ok I will pay $170 but tell me what chemicals you are adding, take a photo of the bottle or give me the names. I say please and add that I will pay him more money to share his secrets. HE SAYS ITS NOT ABOUT THE MONEY, but doesn't tell me what he is doing.

When I get home this packet in the pump basket.

I am not a poty mouth but why are these pool guys jerks? I want to tell him to KMA and stay away. I am testing my water daily and will record the results in Pool Math. Things better not go sideways after his last visit in two weeeks and I need him to come back.

Attachments

• 20200423_191235.jpg
    20200423_191235.jpg
    225.2 KB · Views: 81
Last edited by a moderator:
The cost of his "service" was included with my cost so he will finish his trips out. Next week should be more fun times.

Thanks for the support team TFP.

Reactions: Casey
Your kids can use that worthless bag of beans in the pump basket for playing hopscotch with. That’s about all they’re good for.

Whether his costs were included or not, I would tell him his services aren’t needed and he can just skip the final trip over. Chances are he’ll do more harm than good or tell you that he’s found evidence of sneetches around your pool and the only way to fix that is for him to go get a $179.99 bottle of crystallized wildebeest urine to add to the pool water so that they stay away. 9 out of 10 sneetches agree that it works most of the time ....

I think the reason he was so secretive was that he's clueless about what he's pushing/selling and doesn't want to admit to such. You could always call his bluff by taking a sample of water to a pool store (not his) and asking for metals test. Show hiim the results and tell him you want a refund on the Culator and possibly the sequestrant.

Newly filled pools *often* look more green than blue. In a day or two things get jiggy and they settle down to blue.

Pouring granules of any sort into a skimmer risks clogs in the line. Don't do it.

Maddie :flower:

Reactions: Timujin
Startup guy’s last day was yesterday. I cornered him and asked many questions about what he has been doing to my pool. He has only added chlorine, muriatic acid and clarifier. No phosfree which is good. He gave me some chemical ranges to shoot for which are on par with what is found here. I asked what I could do about the scale forming on my tile and he said just let it build up and pay a guy to cleaning in a year. Crazy. He pool service rate is $150/month. So I paid for this plus Modelos.

I am on my own now.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
On your scale comment, add your water temp to pool math and track CSI. That should help you keep the water chemistry in check to prevent scale.

You're better off without him.

A decent test kit, a pole, a brush, and a vacuum all cost less than two months' pool service. And then you're in control. You have an amazing resource here to walk you through things.

As an aside, adjusting things to a slighty negative CSI can remove the white line on the tile over a long period of time.

If you're prepared to put some effort into it, a pumice stone and elbow grease will work faster. Be forewarned, It sounds horrible --- worse than nails on a chalkboard. And there will be lots of pumice grit to vacuum up. Personal experience: it's easier to do it from in the pool, with a pool noodle or two under you to hold you at a good work height. Crawling on hands and knees and reaching down is rough. Somehow it doesn't gouge the tiles despite the awful sounds.

Others have mixed up some 1/3 strength acid in a spray bottle and gone after the white ring with a brush.

Reactions: Timujin
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.