Jun 11, 2018
League City, Texas
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
I am in the process of getting pool quotes. My most recent quote includes a Pentair Whisperoflo pump. I think it’s dual speed. The proposed pool is 35 x 20, 97ft perimeter, 552 sq ft and 15,700 gallons. There will be a spa, one bubbler, and three sheer waterfalls. I asked the PB about switching to a VS Intelliflo but he said the pool is big and doesn’t make sense. I am still new to pools and in the process of learning but from what limited reading I’ve done so far I don’t know why a VS pump wouldn’t work for this pool. I am interested in having an energy efficient pool but I also want it to work properly. Any information and help is appreciated.

Thanks!

Welcome to the forum! :handshake:

With water features and a spa a variable speed pump is nearly mandatory. Along with automation. For normal pool filtering operations the pump can be run at low flow rates to save electricity. Hopefully you are going to have a SaltWater Chlorine Generator to chlorinate your pool and a VS pump allows you to run at low rpm for long periods with low electrical consumption. Then when the water feature or spa is wanted the rate can be increased as necessary.

I suggest you read Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry and consider reviewing the entire Trouble Free Pool School book.

J,

I "assume" the pool builder believes that you will have to run your IntelliFlo at full speed most of the time, and if so I agree it would not be worth it.

On the other hand I don't understand why he would think that... :confused: You would not normally run your spa and waterfalls all the time... If this were my pool I would have a VS that runs the Pool and Spa and a single speed waterfall pump to run the waterfall... After a week of listening to three waterfalls you are likely to only use the waterfall pump on special occasions.. :p

Just ask the pool builder to explain what he means about being too big...

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thank you mknauss! And thanks for the links. I have actually been lingering here for a few weeks and have read almost all the articles in Pool School. In all my reading thus far I haven’t seen anything say that VS pumps are limited to the size of a pool. That’s why I was wondering why the PB said it wouldn’t work well with this size pool. I think the whisperflo is a fine pump from what I’ve read on the Pentair site but thought the energy savings of an Intelliflo would be worth the cost.

I think it may depend on the PB skills. We cant tell that from a forum.

The PB may be very skilled and has used this to get the number of jets and flow rates balanced through out the system, negating the requirement for a variable speed pump. However, if a pool builder ever did that I would be amazed.

Thanks Jim R.! I will have to ask him. I have had one PB tell me they don’t use VS pumps because they run on high all the time. From what I’ve read I don’t think that true.

Spa Owner,
PB has been building for 20+ years. I’m not doubting his expertise but I like to learn and I like to understand why things are done a certain way. I asked the PB if an IntelliFlo VS would be an option instead of the Whisperflo and his exact words were, ”For your size pool variable speed doesn’t make sense. It’s not a baby pool it’s a full size pool.” That doesn’t tell me why but I kinda get the sense he was perturbed with me asking. I could be wrong. At least I hope I’m wrong. He was very friendly and easy to talk to when he was here. Then I asked him if it was a single or dual speed pump and for the product number so I could do some additional reading and he replied that it was variable speed. What? So now I’m really confused.

J,

So what HP Whisperflo was your PB planning one using?

I am not a pump expert, but I believe that both the Whisperflo and IntelliFlo have the same wet end (Pump) and the main difference is the motor. It is either a single speed, two speed or VS...

Jim R.

Jim R,

I don’t know which whisperflo. I asked for the product number but was just told it was variable after he had just told me variable speed didn’t make sense for this pool. Unless I misread Pentair’s website, I thought the whisperflo was only dual speed. I will go back and reread.

Thanks,
James

Jim R,

I don’t know which whisperflo. I asked for the product number but was just told it was variable after he had just told me variable speed didn’t make sense for this pool. Unless I misread Pentair’s website, I thought the whisperflo was only dual speed. I will go back and reread.

Thanks,
James

If you are trying to confuse me, you are doing a great job.. :p

Is he installing a VS pump or not... :confused:

There about 50 different WhisperFlo pumps... WhisperFlo High Performance Pump - Efficient Pool and Spa Pumps - Pentair

Look under "Resources" and then "Product/Specs".

Jim R.

Sorry Jim I promise I not trying to confuse you!!! I am just confused myself. I asked this PB about a VS pump and he basically said I don’t need one because the pool is large. Then, I asked him if he knew if it was dual speed or single speed and if he could tell me model/product number. He then replied that it was variable speed. That’s where I got lost. Is it variable or is it not??? I don’t know. Maybe this PB doesn’t know either.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just tell the builder that you want the Intelliflo.

^^^ This.

Regardless what the PB tells you, it’s your money in the end. He can set it up to match your pool, then as you learn and get comfortable, you can change the settings to better fit you and your pools needs.
The beauty of a VS pump, is that it is single, dual, and VS in one package.

I might look for another PB. No telling what else he is clueless about.

That does concern me a little that he wasn’t sure about the pump he uses and it does raise a red flag for me. I will continue to keep contact with him. He hasn’t lost me just yet. We are getting one more quote next week(our 4th) and we will go from there.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.