PB Only Did a Partial Bond Coat - Is That Okay

Thanks for all the feedback.

One questions that I would like to be proactive on is the plaster mix for TOMORROW's plaster job. It seems like most people on this forum that complain of a problem after installation always are asked if they closely monitored how much calcium chloride (or whatever) was added as a percentage of the mix. What should I ask / monitor about the install tomorrow so that I can ensure that I know how it was done in case a problem arises later? Thanks!

What should I ask / monitor about the install tomorrow so that I can ensure that I know how it was done in case a problem arises later? Thanks!

Observe the mix of each batch of plaster. Have a bunch of plastic solo cups and put a sample of each batch of plaster in a cup. Date it and label it with your address and batch number. All that lets the plasters know you are monitoring their mixing process that affects the quality of the plaster. And if there is ever any problems and questions about the plaster being the source of the problems you can have the cups tested in a lab and prove it was not water chemistry after the plaster application causing the problem.

Last edited:
I just looked back through my invoice and do not see any language about warrantying the install. I asked if they had anything to provide me or if not I could provide some language for them. I received this response

"You will get manufacturers warranty sent to you right after final payment is processed. We are directed by the National Plaster Council guidelines not another web site"

Any thoughts? I would expect something like, "

"H&H Tile and Plaster guarantees the plaster installation for a period of 1 year to be free from installation defects. If during this period a defect is determined to be the result of installation, the pool will be re-plastered at at no cost to the homeowner"

Am I dreaming?

Who is the manufacturer? The plaster materials?

Unfortunately it sounds like the installer warranties nothing. If you can prove there was a defect in the plaster materials then talk with the plaster company. Good luck.

@onBalance you have any comments about this?

I think builders who do not offer a good warranty will walk away when the customer presents them with one.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You weed out those PBs who wont stand behind their work by asking for their warranty in writing. Here is what I got for a recent replaster.

Thanks. I am really curious what percentage of failures that occur in 1-2 years of work are really pool water chemical related. This whole experience has me wanting to start a pool refinish business. What a poorly managed industry.

Thankfully I have the extra savings to spend with attorneys to make sure my job is warrantied ;)

I just looked back through my invoice and do not see any language about warrantying the install. I asked if they had anything to provide me....

"You will get manufacturers warranty sent to you right after final payment is processed. We are directed by the National Plaster Council guidelines not another web site"
He didnt even remotely answer your question.

Reactions: Pat60
Thanks. The real reason things went sideways is he subcontracted the stone wall and stone coping work and left me to supervise. That was a unfair, exhausting and a bad idea for all parties. The mason was a C player and I had to ride him to get a B+ job. Every time I asked for the owners to step in a do their job, they assured me that they were and that I just need to go to micro manage if I wanted it a certain way(which was ridiculous). All the guys that had H&H shirts on (most likely W2 employees) have done good work demoing and installing plaster. The also have a customer communication problem. With some clear expectation setting this could have been a great experience. I have had my own business for 21 years and I know that ounce of prevention with worth a pound of cure. In Austin, it has been booming for so long that unless you are naturally process driven you have been able to get away with sub-par communication and execution.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.