Maryland
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Pool builder is discouraging a variable speed pump because we have a slide, 1 bubbler, and 2 sheer descents. He says there won’t be enough power but I would like the utility savings. The slide is 8ft and requires 25 gpm. It’s a new build at 18k gallons. Anyone have input? Thanks!

In low speed it is unlikely a VSP can deliver enough water for all your features at the same time, but as the name say, it’s speed is variable.

Also after the 19th of this month new energy standards for pool pumps will become effective. I’m wondering if your PB has non-VSP stocked that he wants to pass along.before it is too late.

You may get a $400 rebate from your power company for that VSP. Like other have said, your builder probably has one in stock he is trying to unload.

Don't let them fool you look at the below chart what it costs to run a pump. You can figure a single speed at 3450 RPMs.

vsp-costs-b.jpg

I would discourage that pool builder. If he does not understand how a VSP works and the benefits what else does he not understand about modern pool equipment?

You can run the VSP as fast as a single speed pump when you want to use your water features. When you are not using the water features you run the pump slower and get energy savings.

Install an automation system to control the VSP and your water features.

We invite you to list all proposed pool equipment to help you determine what else your PB might not understand about modern pool equipment.

Maybe start a new post in Under Construction and list the pool and pool equiomemt specs. You can also post pics to document your pool build.

In low speed it is unlikely a VSP can deliver enough water for all your features at the same time, but as the name say, it’s speed is variable.

Also after the 19th of this month new energy standards for pool pumps will become effective. I’m wondering if your PB has non-VSP stocked that he wants to pass along.before it is too late.
Yep exactly what I’m thinking

I would be willing to bet he’s got inventory he’d like to unload. If it’s lack of understanding on his part, he might not be the right PB for you. We just recently purchased a variable speed pump to replace our relic of a pump. It was a single speed. I’m beyond impressed with how much more energy efficient and quiet it is.

We don’t have all the features you have so our original pump was a 3/4 hp single speed wired to a 115v circuit. We replaced it with a Pentair Superflo VS. 1.5 hp wired to a new dedicated 230v line. My only regret is I wish I’d replaced it last season to take advantage of the cost savings. For your needs a higher hp pump of course, but, the variable speed is the way to go. Plus most if not all have built in timers. Mine I can program 3 custom speed settings to start at a set time and set the duration of each. It can be programmed up to 24 hours or less. Any time not scheduled in a 24 hour period it will spin down and go into a rest mode.

Reactions: Jmay905

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We have a slide and two bubblers with my VSP. When its running at its lowest setting, no, there is not enough pressure to get water moving to the slide, and the bubblers, well, they don't bubble. But, when I click to turn on the slide, or the bubblers, or both, the Intellicenter ramps up the VSP speed and boom, we have all the pressure we need to move all the water we need. Yea, my guess is there he has the pumps in stock, and wants to dump them on who he can to get rid of them. Stick to your guns, VSP all the way!

Reactions: Jmay905
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.