Patio with fiberglass reinforced concrete

CypressCajun

Silver Supporter
Jul 25, 2018
Cypress Texas
Hi all: Underway with my pool build and in a couple of weeks, my patio will be poured (~900 sq/ft or so of decking). Has anyone used/recommend upgrading to fiberglass reinforced concrete to help prevent cracking? I asked my builder (by suggestion of some family members) and the builder says it does help and is getting me a quote.

Thanks!

I've heard positive things about fiber reinforced concrete. The fibers (glass, polypropylene, or steel) don't do much to stop any structural cracking due to poor foundation soils/settlement and are not a supplement for rebar. They control shrinkage cracking due to stresses developed during initial curing.
The contractor that poured a 22'x38' driveway (with control joints) at my Mom's used polypropylene fibers. Didn't bother to do anything to cure the concrete on a sunny August 95 deg day. It was 12 hrs before I got there to find bone-dry white concrete and starting soaking down the slab, but almost 2 years later there is no cracking.
If its in the budget, I'd do it.

We had the fiberglass shavings in our concrete driveway to prevent cracking - it didn't. Within a month, the first crack appeared and we've have several others over the last 9 years. The original concrete (25 years old with no fiberglass reinforcement) did better.

its always better to add the fibers, and its cheap. what quote does he need has he never done concrete or used fiber mesh? from either supplier I use near me its 10 dollars a yard extra to the mix rate of the concrete. so a full truck for me is 100bucks extra, no brainer.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.