Boston, MA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Is there a general rule of thumb for determining the patio size given a pavilion size? We want to extend our pool patio to accomdate a pavilion. The patio would be done now and the pavilion added in the future.

I doubt there is a rule of thumb. It all depends on how you want to utilize the space. If it were me, I would want enough space around it for a decent walk path. So my preference would be to have about 3' extended around the perimeter of the pavilion footprint.

Is this going to be a stand alone pavilion, out away from the pool or is it abutting an existing patio/pool deck area? Some pics of what you are working with may help to get some ideas flowing from the peanut gallery.

--Jeff

Reactions: bmoreswim
Just a quick note to check your local ordinances and code requirements regarding your structure. Once you pour the patio, you limit your options on anchoring the structure without cutting holes in your new concrete and the available options may not meet local code.

I learned this the hard way. We had extra decking poured to add a pavilion after the pool was done and found out the city required a 150mph wind load (we live in a hurricane prone area). I checked with a few structural engineers and found to get a proper anchorage for the structure I would have to break holes through the decking to pour footers in order to meet the wind load requirement. Needless to say, we don't have a pavilion.

Just a quick note to check your local ordinances and code requirements regarding your structure. Once you pour the patio, you limit your options on anchoring the structure without cutting holes in your new concrete and the available options may not meet local code.

I learned this the hard way. We had extra decking poured to add a pavilion after the pool was done and found out the city required a 150mph wind load (we live in a hurricane prone area). I checked with a few structural engineers and found to get a proper anchorage for the structure I would have to break holes through the decking to pour footers in order to meet the wind load requirement. Needless to say, we don't have a pavilion.
Absolute must to check that. I suspect most places would require footers these days.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.