Patio safe ice/snow melt?

Nov 28, 2018
Michigan
This question is for my cold weather pool owners. First winter with our new pool and ideally, we would still like to use our concrete pool patio in the backyard, even during winter. Our entire backyard is fenced in and connected to our house so it is ideal to clear a part of our concrete patio off. I am scared to use certain salts on the patio and wondered if anyone had any concrete friendly options to help de-ice/snow the concrete section. Thanks!

Good question. I didn't even think to use ice melt on our new patio (we usually just shovel), but following because my husband is a big ice melt fan. lol!

Which side of the house is the patio on? Is there any slope to it (even 1/8")? Our driveway is on the west side and if we get it shoveled quickly, it's amazing how well the winter sun melts the little that is left and keeps it ice free. We don't use ice melt products on it at all. We do have a pretty good slope to it, so a lot of the melt will quickly run to the street.

I'm facing South and there is a slight pitch. We got 8" yesterday and it's melting quickly after shoveling under the sun today. But with single digits expected tonight and tomorrow, i'd hate for my patio to turn into a skating rink.

I would never put any type of de-icer on my patio. To my knowledge any product that melts ice will damage the patio. Concrete is far more susceptible to damage than most natural stones but I would simply not risk it. Just be sure to shovel far enough so the water makes it off the patio to where it would normally drain to. Be sure not to compact the snow in the drainage area. Most of the time it will run under the snow.

Reactions: martinezj1120
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.