Particles in water

May 22, 2016
Gibsonville NC
Help... got a 25000 gallon in ground pool, vinyl liner about 4 yrs old, Sand filter, liquid chlorine for sanitation. Established pool came with home bought 3 years ago. Original was a copper ionizer but switched to chlorine. Pool is crystal clear in day time but night under pool lights filled with particles. No clue of the sand age so we replaced sand in filter but did not help. What should my next step be?
All numbers
Fc 4
Cc 0
Ph 7.4
Akl 30
Cya 30

Attachments

• 970D61D9-DBDE-4AE2-BBAB-07C0A95605F6.jpeg
    970D61D9-DBDE-4AE2-BBAB-07C0A95605F6.jpeg
    221.1 KB · Views: 11
  • 60569774-661B-44A9-B6D0-0BD1F1B2EF1A.jpeg
    60569774-661B-44A9-B6D0-0BD1F1B2EF1A.jpeg
    188.3 KB · Views: 11
That is fairly normal. There is always particles in the water. Sand filters do not filter as well as the other filter types. You can try using a little DE in your filter to try to clear it up more.

I was once told that the best time to vacuum a pool was at night because with the lights on in the pool you can see *everything!* Soooooo true.

DE for pools can help as it puts a layer of DE on top of your sand which helps trap smaller particles that pass thru sand.

Make sure its *pool* DE, and go slow. You only want as much as will raise your filter pressure by 1 psi. And remember that whenever you backwash it will be wasted out with the backwash water, so you'll have to replace it if desired.

I like the way DE helps my pool water.

Maddie :flower:

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply’s. My friend has a DE filter system in his pool and offered a couple of cups. I will try this weekend according to the instructions above. So to make sure I understand you need to do this process every time you backwash?
Yep. Once you backwash, it's all down the drain.

And the first time you do it you need to stick around so you can keep an eye on the pressure gauge because it can load up in a couple hours.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.