Apr 22, 2021
Austin, Texas
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hey TFP members,

The housing on our Paramount Ultra UV system is cracked and leaking water (most likely from Winterstorm Uri). Bulbs also need to be replaced. After some costs analysis on new bulbs and a housing unit it seems like the best option would be to just swap the entire unit. long story short...does anyone know if I can just swap out the Ultra UV for an ultra UV2 without having to mess around with the piping? In other words, are the inlet/outlet connections and UV2 dimensions the same as the older UV model?

-Thanks!

Howdy Frieds :wave: Welcome to TFP~

Have you actually seen any change in pool chemistry since the UV went out?? Most folks don't, hence they realize what a waste of money those things are. In fact, I know you get a mess of UV free of charge from the sun, so the entire device is redundant.

Maddie :flower:

Reactions: Isotfp
Thanks for the info! Interesting. Is that the general consensus among TPF members? I'd be curious to know if anyone would vouch for UV systems effectiveness?

-To answer your question, I don't know. We recently purchased the house and the UV system has been out prior to us moving in so I am unsure if the pool chemistry have changed prior to the system being operable.

UV systems are best used for INDOOR pools that don't see the sun. And also the device tends to be much larger than the dinky ones that pool builders pad their wallets selling naive home owners.

How's the pool doing otherwise? Clean and sparkling??

Howdy Frieds :wave: Welcome to TFP~

Have you actually seen any change in pool chemistry since the UV went out?? Most folks don't, hence they realize what a waste of money those things are. In fact, I know you get a mess of UV free of charge from the sun, so the entire device is redundant.

Oh my good lord I can't believe I didn't realize that OF COURSE the pool is already blasted with more UV than you can shake a stick at. And here I was poking around for feedback on different brands. I need to go to bed.

One wonders, though, how can they make the claims they make? Seems like they're flirting with fraud.

I installed a Paramount UV system on my new pool build prior to getting wise with TFP. My observations.......... I can run my chlorine levels lower than the recommended levels on FC/CYA charts. (While I can run at lower levels, I don't use less chlorine.) I also don't see degradation of my chlorine as some have claimed. My UV system is hard wired and runs 24/7 with my VS pump. Will I invest in another bulb when this one burns out? NO. Regardless of what you feel UV systems do or don't do, they don't deliver based on a cost/benefit analysis. Using proven TFP methods it's easier and cheaper to simply run your chlorine levels at the recommended levels of the FC/CYA chart and skip the fancy night light.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.