Paper gaskets for skimmers, really??

Richard320

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jan 6, 2010
San Dimas, CA (LA County)
Like, craft paper aka grocery bag?

Or something better?

I know thick Paper gaskets are still used in some automotive applications. It compresses well and swells up when it absorbs whatever liquid it's supposed to be holding, which makes it seal even better. Usually they feel different, like there is some kind of plasticizer mixed in.

caliskier

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 24, 2014
Oklahoma City, OK
Like, craft paper aka grocery bag?

Or something better?

I know thick Paper gaskets are still used in some automotive applications. It compresses well and swells up when it absorbs whatever liquid it's supposed to be holding, which makes it seal even better. Usually they feel different, like there is some kind of plasticizer mixed in.
Its like paper, like I had the vacuum going through the skimmer and it totally destroyed it taking the vacuum out. Had to pull the liner and redo it.

caliskier

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 24, 2014
Oklahoma City, OK
worst case if it leaks, shock the pool, drain it below the skimmer 2 inches, caulk it up, let it dry for 24-48 hours, reopen the pool. Repeat next year if necessary.

woodyp

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Apr 17, 2010
East Texas
I was hoping at least it was some kind of cork. Unfortunately, you're right!
Maybe they meant to use that as a template------which is dumb.

Bama Rambler

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Bronze Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 22, 2009
SouthWest Alabama
They have a waterproof compound in them to help them hold up.

They work ok, but you can also get foam and rubber gaskets if you'd prefer them.

sktn77a

Gold Supporter
May 16, 2010
Chapel Hill, NC
Our old fiberglass wall hybrid pool had a vinyl pool type skimmer with the same thin cardboard gasket. Didn't hold up too well and leaked.