Painted my above ground pool and like the results!

Pauls234

Silver Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 4, 2012
Chicago, IL
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-60 Plus
Hey All,

Thought I would share as when I researched this last year I did not find a lot in terms of historical threads on the forum on the topic.

I've never liked the white metal look of the outside of my pool. In past years I had put a bamboo fencing around it, but it eventually got weathered and gross.

So, last summer I decided to give painting a shot. I just used a standard Behr exterior paint/primer in one, 2 coats with a roller. My wife plans to paint a kind of foresty looking scene around it eventually, but this goldish yellow is the base. It survived the winter (including a stretch of -20 we had here!) no problem. The only time that the paint peeled was last summer when an inflatable was left against the wall on a hot day, it pulled a way a bit of the paint, but I just touched it up and that was that.

I did consider scuffing up the exterior with sandpaper to make it stick better, but decided I did not want to risk compromising any outer coating, and as you can see I left the top railing untouched for two reasons - concern that the darker color could make things too hot to the touch, and, far less of a risk of a paint spill into the water, or splashing from water on still wet paint!

Overall, I am very pleased especially given that this only took a couple hours of work.

Attachments

• Pool.20190705_155235.jpg
    Pool.20190705_155235.jpg
    437.2 KB · Views: 361
  • pool.20190705_155016.jpg
    pool.20190705_155016.jpg
    525.8 KB · Views: 354
I like it! A lot!

i find most attempts by Above Ground Pool Makers to decorate the outside panels just plain ugly usually. Like "Lets pretend this isnt a big vinyl thing in the middle of nature".
I think a blast of solid color is so much nicer! It sure makes it looks welcoming and summer like!

Keep us posted on how it holds up. I bet others may follow your lead ......

Maddie :flower:

Kimkats, that would be a fun (and potentially dangerous!) idea!

rajung - it was a blast, how could it not be when you get 6 40 year old guys who have known each other 30+ years together with the wives and kids? And beer of course, lots of beer!

Thanks Maddie - yes that shiny whitish metal with lame rectangle patterns.... it just looked really sterile.

(Updating this post as there was not a lot of historical threads I could find on the topic on TFP when I researched a few years ago)

Post is one year old, but I painted June 2018 and things are still holding up fine. I am sure it is faded some from sun exposure, but it isn't noticeable to me - it still looks like a bright splash of color in our yard. We absolutely love the look!

Wife still threatens to paint a forestry looking scene on it as well. Maybe in 2021. :)

• Love
Reactions: kimkats
This look fantastic! I found this thread when I was looking for ways to paint an above ground pool because - like you - I think ours with the hokey white and grey cattail pattern is ugly and I want to make it more cohesive with our outdoor space. I had the idea of either installing wood screens or pavers or the reed fencing you mentioned trying above, but it’s all expensive.
I was just wondering what type of finish you used on the paint - and if you think sealing it with a clear coat afterwards might make it hold up better. I initially thought I would have to use oil based but if this is latex, it would be even easier. I want to use a border stencil for a simple pattern on ours.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hi eveb,

Welcome to the forum!

Thanks, we continue to love it!

I just used Behr exterior paint/primer in one and did 2 coats with a roller. And yes, latex based so really easy and inexpensive! I did it June 2018 and its held up well, particularly given we've seen temps range from -20 to +100. I wouldn't mess with a clear coat based on my results, just hose off and give a quick wipe down so the surface is as clean as possible and get to rolling.

Post a pic once you've completed!

Hey All,

Thought I would share as when I researched this last year I did not find a lot in terms of historical threads on the forum on the topic.

I've never liked the white metal look of the outside of my pool. In past years I had put a bamboo fencing around it, but it eventually got weathered and gross.

So, last summer I decided to give painting a shot. I just used a standard Behr exterior paint/primer in one, 2 coats with a roller. My wife plans to paint a kind of foresty looking scene around it eventually, but this goldish yellow is the base. It survived the winter (including a stretch of -20 we had here!) no problem. The only time that the paint peeled was last summer when an inflatable was left against the wall on a hot day, it pulled a way a bit of the paint, but I just touched it up and that was that.

I did consider scuffing up the exterior with sandpaper to make it stick better, but decided I did not want to risk compromising any outer coating, and as you can see I left the top railing untouched for two reasons - concern that the darker color could make things too hot to the touch, and, far less of a risk of a paint spill into the water, or splashing from water on still wet paint!

Overall, I am very pleased especially given that this only took a couple hours of work.
I love the tiki umbrella! Where did you get that? Is it actually a thatch canopy? does it fade or shed significantly?

It is an umbrella and I think my MIL happened across it at Walmart so just grabbed it for us as a random gift. No fading (that I've noticed) or shedding. A strong wind will sometimes cause it invert but I have flipped it back with no permanent damage.... so far.

I love this idea, it looks so bright and cheery. I like things that fade into the background so the idea of painting a forest or native bush scene on ours really appeals.

We're just starting out swimming here in Australia and after three years, landscapers are coming to pave round my pool this week. Might have to look at painting it after that.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.