smitchell911

Jun 10, 2020
Fulshear, Texas
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Today is dig day for us! We started pool process back in April with PB1, but things didn't work out so we went with PB2. We are in a city just outside of Houston, Texas and some of the restrictions may be a bit different when building a pool. Has anyone on here had any experience dealing with the pad-mounted transformer (big ugly green electrical box) in the utility easement when building your pool? I was informed by an electrician the water's edge could not be within 5ft. of this pad-mounted transformer. I was also informed from a different PB it had to be 10ft.

Speaking to the Project Manager, he mentioned he has never had to deal with this issue, ever. They have been building pools in the same area for years. We are very pleased with the final design of the pool. I was just interested to see if anyone has had to deal with this before. Thank you for your feedback.

Welcome to TFP :wave:

At the end of the day it is up to the code inspector for your jurisdiction. The PB and electrician can say anything - but what the inspector says goes. May be worth your effort to contact them and ask to ease your concern.

Reactions: Mdragger88
The electrical spacing to the edge of the water just came up in another thread (NEC Code question - Stand Alone spa setback from an IG Pool) They were specifically looking for spa placement. As proavia says, it is up to the local AHJ (authority having jurisdiction) and also which version of the code that they are using. Previous versions of the code required 10ft setback, and I believe that the 2020 version has changed this to 5ft. That is likely the difference in your answers between the PB and electrician. Best to get the inspector involved and ask, so that you don't have a very costly correction to make later on.

--Jeff

Reactions: Mdragger88
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.