Oxidizing Shock for "Chloramines" ?? Really?

cody21

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 27, 2012
Lafayette, Ca / USA
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
So I saw this posted on another Pool site (not Leslie's). They recommend this Oxidizing Shock treatment "ONCE PER WEEK". I've never heard of this and would like your opinion(s). is this a real thing? TIA ..

"When chlorine breaks down, it forms tiny particles called chloramines. These chloramines can irritate skin and eyes, create a strong odor, and prevent chlorine from working properly. Pool shock attacks these inactive particles and breaks them apart, helping to maintain the efficiency of your chlorine. Adding chlorine shock to your pool increases chlorine levels, so swimmers will need to wait 12 hours before returning to swim. Shocking in the evening when the sun is low helps to reduce any chlorine burnoff. If you don’t need to sanitize your pool and just want to remove extra chloramines, you can use oxidizing shock. Since oxidizing shock doesn’t contain chlorine, your pool water will be swim-ready in just 15 minutes after use. Whichever shock you decide to use, we recommend you shock your pool once a week."

Cody they are assuming you are using tabs and not monitoring daily. For the overwhelming majority of pool owners out there not maintaining their pools, it's yet another 911 magic bag that doesn't address why they need it in the first place. It might last a week or two and they will be back buying more, probably a double dose because it worked so well last week. Cha-ching. Lol.

Reactions: Mdragger88
"monitor Daily" ?? lol. Honestly, I tend to TEST ALL Parameters of my water about once every 14 days during summer months AFTER getting everything in proper balance. I DO check FC more regular than that though - maybe every 4 days or so. I have a good feel how the CL levels go down in hot weather & with the fills But that's just me ... :cool:

Once you are one with your pool, have at it being all zen-like. Use your spidey-sense, or the Force or whatever quick glance let's you know you're doing well. For me, I'd go check to make sure my main drain screws were still Phillips from 8 ft away. They always were and I'd be off to do something else.

Chlorine is both an oxidizer & a sanitizer when used in proper amounts.
MPS is only an oxidizer.
Why use only an oxidizer when u can use something that does both? This leads people to believe they have “shocked” their pool & it is sanitary when it’s not.
Also MPS can read as cc’s when testing (unless a special interference regeant is used) which makes it very hard to accurately know what’s happening with your water. Especially if you are using it with the intent to lower cc’s.

Why use only an oxidizer when u can use something that does both? This leads people to believe they have “shocked” their pool & it is sanitary when it’s not.
OK. Love your thoughts, as always, but we simply cannot get into the head of somebody who needs this Hail Mary pass in the first place. :ROFLMAO:

They don't know their pool, or what to do, so they dump and pray. This one is on par with all of the other multi cure potions that (gasp) don't fix *1* issue, muchless several.

OK. Love your thoughts, as always, but we simply cannot get into the head of somebody who needs this Hail Mary pass in the first place. :ROFLMAO:

They don't know their pool, or what to do, so they dump and pray. This one is on par with all of the other multi cure potions that (gasp) don't fix *1* issue, muchless several.
You're spot on .. I have a friend who inherited a Pool and you should see the bags and buckets of "stuff" he uses, including Triclor .. I have given up trying to educate him - and even pointed him to this site. But alas .. I have yet to swim in his pool ... :cool:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.