Owner / Builder - Sacramento - With Pictures and Prices!

The original reason I wanted the separate pour was just because I liked the visual contrast between the decking and the coping, but still wanted it to be all the same material. The coping will not be stamped concrete so it should define the pool a little bit more. All of the contractors I got bids from recommended the separate pour too. From what I read online, it serves as a bit of a buffer to protect your pool from the concrete expansion associated with the rest of your deck. More info here: Problems Due to Concrete Decks

I don't have any new pictures tonight. My wife and I were out of town all week so minimal progress. On the plus side, our new AC is in and blowing ice cold air (although it's resting on 2x4's over a trench). I also placed an order for vinyl privacy fencing. That should be fun to install. If the plan was to annihilate my budget and absorb all of my free time, I believe I'm doing an excellent job.

You are so funny. You said pool and budget at the same time! LOL Sorry :slidehalo: One thing leads to another and another until the wallet is DRY! It will slow down after the pool is filled but the toys for the pool is keep on taking.

Kim:cat:

I went with fencing from wambamfence.com after seeing a neighbor install the same fence a couple weeks ago. It's getting delivered tomorrow. They'll send you a sample of their product for free if you're interested. Material cost ended up being about $22/lf, excluding gates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry it's been so long since I posted an update. The pool isn't completed yet. I've been working a lot and the short amount of time I've had off I've spent putting up the fence. I had 21 yards of concrete poured. I need to wait about 30 days before sealing it. Patio cover is scheduled for 6/16 and plaster 6/21. I'd really like to paint the house before the patio cover goes up, but looks like that might have to get postponed awhile. I still have some more fence to do in the front yard, but at least the backyard is finished. I'd like to get some landscaping in before plaster, but I don't have a free day until the day before plaster so we'll see.

IMG_7288_zpsymycgw6w-1.jpg

IMG_7286_zpsvtacdpdp-1.jpg

IMG_7291_zpsmpvxc6pp-1.jpg

IMG_7290_zpseudpzzxf-1.jpg

IMG_7285_zpspzkfsggz-1.jpg

IMG_7287_zpsxmdsiris-1.jpg

IMG_7289_zpsgforpgtp-1.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Slowly but slowly this thing is coming together. I picked up some chemicals, trees and my second 3200lb bag of rock today. Feel like I got quite a bit done and hopefully only have two more full days of manual labor left to finish things up. Thank god!!!

Pre-clean was supposed to be today too, but they didn't make it out. Plaster is still scheduled for tomorrow (today technically) and they are supposedly going to clean it up beforehand. We shall see how that goes, as I was hoping to have the night to inspect the pool after the clean, before the plaster. I pressure washed the gunite tonight, but there's still some goop at the bottom of the pool and I'm really concerned about the tiles not being cleaned enough as there's some concrete or mortar on some of them.

When I last talked to them today around 4pm I wish I would have told them to postpone the plaster until they were able to clean it up the day before. Who knows, maybe they can make the tile look great in a few minutes.

Here's some updated pics. I'll post some more with better detail when I get some time.

IMG_7409_zps60mxhu2v-1.jpg

IMG_7410_zps5dl9kggq-1.jpg

IMG_7411_zpsjcixncny-1.jpg

Sorry for the delayed update, we've swam in it a few times now. I've sealed the concrete and added artificial turf. I still need to finish my retaining wall and add some potted plants along the back fence. Fire pit should be going in early next week and I'd like to start painting the house eventually. Outdoor kitchen has been put on the back burner.

I still have a few equipment issues to work out. The globrite on my baja shelf only stays on for a couple seconds before shutting off. My plumber came out and confirmed that everything is hooked up correctly. I called Pentair and they are going to send someone out to look at it.

Oh, a piece of advice for anyone putting in a new pool, especially owner/builders...write down your pool equipment serial numbers and register them with the company online. Pentair customer service was pretty responsive, but was not able to do anything until I registered my equipment.

IMG_7613_zpshr9tffpr-1.jpg

IMG_7615_zpslasrsika-1.jpg

IMG_7617_zpsfd40oqnt-1.jpg

IMG_7610_zpsspo8d8jp-1.jpg

IMG_7609_zps7bgqen3z-1.jpg
IMG_7619_zpsgg7bivc3-1.jpg
IMG_7622_zpskfk6xvks-1.jpg
IMG_7633_zpsbbphia9r-1.jpg

Thanks everybody. We've spent more time in the backyard in the last week than we probably have in the last year. It's almost there, I've moved on to decorating and organizing things now.

@allinspector: You have a good point about the lights. the picture makes it look brighter than it is, but they are still a little bright. they're solar powered LED's on the low setting. Once those trees start to grow I'm going to angle them a little higher up and that may help

@technobuyer: I used a high gloss solvent based sealer from spec-west.com. I also added a non-slip additive. If you use a sprayer to apply the sealant make sure you get one with an adjustable nozzle so as it starts to clog up you can open it up a little more (mine had separate nozzle inserts and it was miserable). I'd also recommend cutting off the little filter on the hose that goes inside the sprayer.

@vanG: I didn't do the turf myself, but the crew excavated down maybe 2" below the concrete line before laying the turf. My backyard isn't perfectly level so the turf slopes towards the concrete. There are two drains in the turf that lead to the street. I went with the TigerTurf Diamond Pro Fescue. It has a 1.875" blade.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.