Owner Builder Planning and Excavation in Michigan

Ok, so I've been focused on equipment location and subsequently my heating source in a different thread here. I'm convinced that solar will be a good option for me and i have decided I will definitely go that route. However I don't want to be short sighted and box myself into a corner should I find in the future that I need to supplement the solar heater with an alternative. That would be a bad time to find out I still need a bigger gas line. So I was trying to run some numbers on heat pump vs gas and I'm surprised at what I'm finding. First, I think my 1" gas line will only handle about 150BTU or so given the distance from the meter (~150'). Second, running the cost of operation numbers reveals that they are nearly the same. Which has me questioning my calculations, hoping someone can double check me:

Just using round numbers assuming 100k BTU for both scenarios.

NG cost ~$8.19 / Mcf or $.82 / therm
Electricity Cost ~ $.16 / KWh

Now, that alone should be enough information to reach a conclusion if you know how to convert a therm into KWh (1 therm = 29 KWh, according to google) However that doesn't add up because that would result in an electricity cost being over 5 times higher than gas for the same unit of energy (which isn't reasonable)

So if you calculate it out the hard way:

100k BTU = 29.3 KWh
Assume COP = 6 (best case probably)
Pool Volume = 24000 gal ~ 200k lbs
Delta T = 1 (F)

Time to Delta T = lbs water / BTU x Delta T = 200k/100k x 1 degree = 2 Hrs

Electricity $ = 29.3KWh / COP (6) x $.16 x 2 Hrs = $1.56 (BTW, the rule of thumb for heat pumps is about 5 KWh per 100k BTU, which correlates closely with how I calculated.)
Gas $ = Therm $ x Hours = $.82 x 2 Hrs = $1.64

So, there you have it, a whopping 8 cents per hour advantage for electricity over gas. Lets say you need to run 6 hours a day, thats only $14 a month savings at BEST, and with the disadvantage of slower heating and lower efficiency in cooler ambient temps. Now, I realize I've assumed 100% efficiency of the gas heater which of course isn't appropriate but I've also ignored the drop in COP with ambient air temp so I think those variables probably cancel each other out. In fact, the heat pump could be more expensive to run if temps average below 80. So am I missing something, did I make a mistake? Someone please verify my work, thank you!

Hey Joe,
You are correct, not much of a savings. http://energy.gov/energysaver/heat-pump-swimming-pool-heaters

I have a few reasons for going with a heat pump.
- For me, the cost of upgrading my gas meter and running the gas line was a big factor. I could easily self install a heat pump, but I did not want to run a HUGE ugly gas pipe 200 feet from my gas meter.
- PV solar panels are becoming ever cheaper. I have every intention on adding a solar panel farm, so potentially, the electricity will be significantly cheaper than gas. I, however, do not have the capability to generate my own natural gas.
- Gas is historically VERY cheap right now. But if fracking starts becoming regulated, natural gas could skyrocket in price.
- I pay the renewable energy surcharge to guaranty that my electricity comes from renewable sources. Natural gas is carbon negative. I have first world money and don't need to pinch every penny at the expense of the environment.

-Dave

NGi, per your other thread saw this one during lunch.

I will just add a location-specific observation here in Michigan as someone who regularly heats from first of May until late Oct.

First off, for us, NG is definitely cheaper and more effective heat than electric, as heat pumps aren't designed to get temps up well and would be virtually useless in the shoulder seasons. Extended season via warm water temps (mine is 88) makes investment in pool worthwhile to me. Useable in early morning swims daily, May or Oct, and useable of the often dramatically cooler evenings we experience here even in the summer.

Eg, normally when temps under 70 in air, folks don't get in a pool. But in our pool, even if its 65 at night, folks swim, then jump into hot tub before toweling off.

My site isn't suited to as much solar as I'd need, and while solar remains great option, if you overbuild or future options, overbuild for natural gas given your location if you want optimal actual daily use.

It's been a busy summer, I'm still gathering information, finalizing plans, searching for an excavator, overcoming setbacks ...ha, just realized that I mean that both literally and figuratively. See, we were getting ready to submit our plans to HOA for approval (which I resent, but anyway) and discovered that because we live on a corner lot, that our "side" yard counts as a front yard. Which in turn means that the required setback is a whopping 70', in which almost no encroachment of any kind is allowed. That was an extremely frustrating discovery, because our planned pool deck exceeded this boundary by about 10'. So we are now in the process of reconfiguring the pool orientation and deck. Words can't even begin to describe how disappointing this is because we were so in love with our plan.

Anyway, what I'm really here for is to get some opinions regarding pool depth. I feel pretty strongly about having at least 48" shallow end, 42" is just too shallow in my opinion. But there are two ways to achieve this, buy 48" walls or buy 42" walls and dig deeper. It's an extra $2700 for 48" walls, the question is...is it worth it? Has anyone dug 48" pool with 42" walls? I understand there is a requirement for a "mini hopper" around the base, so I'm wondering if anyone has done this and regrets it? Is it significantly harder to build, any factors I should consider? Keep in mind I'm doing this myself. Thanks!

Edit: forgot to mention we are doing vinyl over steel steps, which means there will have to be a landing around the steps with a slope if we use 42" walls. But it does reduce the number of steps from 5 using a 48" wall to 3 using a 42" wall.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.