Owner/Builder Cocoa, Florida

That looks great! The one thing I would worry about is the 3' in the shallow end. Please hold a tape measure up to your and see where that hits you. I think 3' is too shallow to allow for a full crawl stroke if you want to swim as well. Something to think about.

Kim:kim:

That looks great! The one thing I would worry about is the 3' in the shallow end. Please hold a tape measure up to your and see where that hits you. I think 3' is too shallow to allow for a full crawl stroke if you want to swim as well. Something to think about.

When we were designing our pool we had a 3 ft shallow. Talked a bunch of people and changed it to 3.5 ft. Love it, and agree 3 ft is pretty shallow, 3.5 seems perfect.

So if I am reading that right your spa's north wall will be in line with your pool now right? I like that idea as that corner could be become a dirt/trash/yuck collector area fast.

I see the part about the "shelf" being 3'6" deep and 10' big THEN transition to 5 feet-NICE!

Feature wall? Do you have inspiration picture of what look you are going for?

Looking for recommendations on a smooth finish. The wife and I are talking about what type of finish we want to use. Just noticed Pebble Tec has a product called Pebble Fina. Supposed to be their smoothest finish. I know we had Pebble Sheen in our last pool and it was pretty rough. I recall the grandkids getting scraped up knees a few times.

Well after talking to the pool plans people we have decided to go with deck jets versus the waterfall. Waterfall was pretty expensive for just one of them and they felt like having only one of them would not be enough. I could not justify spending $1500 for 3 lighted waterfalls. So the $300 for 4 deck jets became the best solution for us.
This looks to be close to being our final layout.

Looking for recommendations on a smooth finish. The wife and I are talking about what type of finish we want to use. Just noticed Pebble Tec has a product called Pebble Fina. Supposed to be their smoothest finish. I know we had Pebble Sheen in our last pool and it was pretty rough. I recall the grandkids getting scraped up knees a few times.
We went with a Quartz finish, and it is very smooth. It has blue speckles in it, and resulted in a light blue water color. A classic look, but not as dark blue as some people are going for. Here in the desert, where it will hit 115° by weeks end, the light color helps with heat gain.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well after talking to the pool plans people we have decided to go with deck jets versus the waterfall. Waterfall was pretty expensive for just one of them and they felt like having only one of them would not be enough. I could not justify spending $1500 for 3 lighted waterfalls. So the $300 for 4 deck jets became the best solution for us.
This looks to be close to being our final layout.

That sounds outrageous our pb threw in our sheer descent and swg for free. He said he was cleaning out his garage. The deck jets are really cool. I have different eye balls I can change out. One has 1 hole, one has 2 holes and one has 3 holes. :cheers:

I am thinking about moving the spa down to the end of that second step which is also a bench. What do you guys think?
It would give us more deck area to the right of the pool and also more room for the grandkids in the shallow area.
Plus less piping to the spa would mean better efficiency for the pump and heater.
Another plus is less labor for the build which could mean saving a few dollars.

I am not 100% sure of what you mean when you say move the spa down.........are you talking about to where the bench/step is that is by the words 3' deep? Think about if that would block any of the view of any of the pool from the house or porch. You do NOT want to do that.

I am not 100% sure of what you mean when you say move the spa down.........are you talking about to where the bench/step is that is by the words 3' deep? Think about if that would block any of the view of any of the pool from the house or porch. You do NOT want to do that.

I mean move to the bottom left hand corner down at the deep end like this. I'll extend the bench to meet the spa wall and have the spillway pouring onto the bench and into the pool confines as well. That deck area to the right of the pool will be nice to have and the shallow end will be larger for the grandkids to play in.

OH I like that idea! All good reasons to do it! The picture is purrfect to show it-THANKS! So how high is your spa walls going to be?

We decided on having the spa raised 12"s. I originally wanted to keep the cost down and was thinking not raising it at all. The pool designer and my wife got me to think differently. I am saving some cost in pipe and labor by moving the spa where I did, but, I will spend a tad more on the raising of it. I am good with that. I will be doing the tiling myself so it's all good.

Just remember that it will now block some of the view of the deep end from the house. I KNOW you would NEVER leave the Grands in or by the pool but I do want you to think along those lines. I like where it is and it should be a non-issue.

Grandkids would never be in the pool without someone watching them. That is mandatory and would never be an issue.
I have now ordered the Pentair Easy Touch 8 automation with Screen Logic 2, Intellichlor IC40, Pentair Intelliflo pump with union kit, Pentair 520ft filter, Pentair Ultratemp heat pump, Intellibrite 5G Pool and Spa lights, Deck Jets, 2 additional valve actuators, Aquastar main drains for pool and spa.

Still have some things to get though. Dollars are starting to add up :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.