Owner Build In PHX

Hopsl

Sep 29, 2017
Phoenix az
So this will be my first pool build and I look forward to any tips and tricks anyone has. My only real concern is the knife edge spa and getting that set up correctly. The plumbing, Rebar and Shotcrete subs all have "extensive" experience with these so Im optimistic.

Welcome, Hops!

By "knife edge spa", are you referring to the sharp corner(s) by the steps? If so, my husband had the same concerns when designing our pool. In fact, he was so against having corners, our first design was a free form. Ultimately, we switched gears to a geometric build and my husband's worries are just a distant memory now. I'm no expert in design and safety, but hopefully your PB will be able to come up with a solution to address your issues. Good luck and keep posting pictures!

So this will be my first pool build and I look forward to any tips and tricks anyone has. My only real concern is the knife edge spa and getting that set up correctly. The plumbing, Rebar and Shotcrete subs all have "extensive" experience with these so Im optimistic.

Actually Im referring to the spa design being negative edge all the way around. It was referred to has a "knife edge" in my design. My concern with this is the precision required for it to function as designed.

I’m sure they will do a good job. And will be using a laser level extensively. But if they don’t, you’ll know it!

Knife edge aka lautner edge... any firm that will attempt this feature, is at top of building game & they know how minuscule the tolerances are for a successful build.. I hope you post pics of the "gutter" & surge tank builds.. (pics chiefly because I'm nosey [emoji41])

Does anyone have any pics of a glowbright in a standard 9” (6” below water) Baja shelf? I don’t want to cut the tile to mount it and I’m a little concerned there is not enough room for it between the tile and floor of the shelf.

2d309d3b85108a0e0d2e1146d1873c66.jpg

View attachment 70426
ab0f809dd8b0366bc2039b8a4c1bbb68.jpg

Could you put in a signature with your information? See Pool School - Getting Started

I have to admit I cannot see how you plan to chlorinate in your equipment pictures. If you want any advice or guidance post up your equipment specs.

Take care.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We had a Globrite put in our top step which is a Baja with 8” of water. The Globrite was a tight fit with 8” of water. With only 6” I don’t think there is anyway it would work unless it was in the waterline tile.

Hi! I just found this thread. I can't wait to see more of it! I love, love, love your tile!!! BLING!

Do you have a design you can share so we can see what is what?

How about a inspiration pool? That would be fun to see!

I see you are planing on using the "deck-chlor". I wanted to give you a heads up on it. The pucks that go in it adds extra stuff to your water depending on the kind. Most add CYA (Cyanuric Acid). While you do need some CYA if you use the pucks your CYA will become too high and you will have to drain and replace some of the water to lower it. Here is a chart to show you the CYA/FC (free chlorine) relationship:

Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

As you can see from the chart the more CYA you have the more FC you need. After a while the CYA will become so high there is really no way to put enough FC in the water to keep ahead of algae :(

Here is a link to some of the different ways to add FC to your pool:

Pool School - How to Chlorinate Your Pool

Kim:kim:

Question about the thoroseal for the negative edge spa walls, The tile guy put it on the entire outside wall of the spa, and only to the bottom of the tile line on the inside of the spa? Shouldn't the entire wall inside the spa be coated, not just to the bottom of the tile? Is there any issue with the pebble going over the thoroseal?

Thanks

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.