Owner Build - Arizona: Shotcrete complete

srivas

Bronze Supporter
Jul 28, 2021
Surprise, AZ
Update 4/27/20222:
Finally decided on design and pool equipment. Submitted for Permit and it is now approved.

Working through getting bids and scheduling trades. Thank you to all that has helped so far.

1651119165592.png
1651119270507.png
Pool Equipment:
Pump: Pentair 3hp VSF 11056
Filter: Pentair 520 sq ft cartidge filter
Salt Water: Salt system- IC60
Heater: 400 Nat Max E Therm Black
Automation: INTELLICENTER I8PS POOL/SPA CONTROL
Lights: Pentair Microbrite (1 on baja step, 2 in pool, 1 in spa)
Autofill: MP Auto Fill Leveler
SILENCER BLOWER 1.5 HP, 220VOLT

Original:
I am new to this group but I have found so much useful information. I am still reading through all the important details of pool construction and additional reading for various sections so still lot for me to learn.

I am going to go owner build route in hopes to get my pool completed in time for the hot summer here in Arizona. I have been working with a consultant that will get all the required plans and engineering docuemnts for permit and contractors.

I do not have the list of all the proposed equipment since I have not decided on the final design but here is the first draft of the design. Are there any design issues that stick out on the intial design? Any feedback is appreciated and I will continue to update everyone I move along this journey.

Attachments

• Pool Draft 1.jpg
    Pool Draft 1.jpg
    338.4 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:
Reactions: Nikilyn
Just a general thought - make your equipment pad larger than you need so everything is easily accessible and you don’t have to be a contortionist to turn a valve. Be sure that your equipment is well shaded from the sun as UV & heat destroys everything and put it behind a nice block wall enclosure with a wide locking gate. Add a bright overhead floodlight that you can turn on should you need to do anything at your equipment pad when it is dark out. Ensure the pad is situated so that all of the services coming onto your property have as direct and short a run length as possible (especially if you have natural gas).

Also, if you have a whole house water softener, design your pool so that the auto fill line is sourced by softened water. If you don’t have a whole house water softener, get one. Calcium and mineral hardness is the most vexing long-term issue for desert pools. If you design your pool to use softened water from the start you will save yourself years of headaches down the line.

Reactions: Jimrahbe
S,

Where do you plan to put the stairs?

Spa hides the pool.. I would not put it there.

How do you plan to hide the equipment? Your equipment pad appears to be way too small.

Where is you automation system going?

Where are your skimmers going and where are your Returns going.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Jim brings up a good question for your spa. Depends on if it is raised or not. You don’t want to block sight lines for kids swimming. Ours was supposed to be raised 18” but now it’s a 6” raised bond beam, which is only 2” above the deck so it doesn’t block anything. That is one thing I’m so grateful to have learned on here.

The location of the spa was the only thing I questioned. Our decision was to put it opposite side of main entry, which we found more inviting from the porch.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220121-003627_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg
    Screenshot_20220121-003627_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg
    223.7 KB · Views: 67
Reactions: bgatxy
dog,

Is that real or fake grass? Fake would be ok, but real grass would be a mistake. Just impossible to cut without getting it into the pool.

I like the spa where it is now..

Thanks,

Jim R.

No to real grass in Arizona. It uses as much, if not more water than a pool and it’s constant maintenance to keep it fertilized, watered, and weeded. It also needs multiple reseedings per year with different grass types. Unless you’re a person with cash to burn and on your own private well, real grass is pointless in southern AZ.

Now turf is GREAT! Very hot on the feet but not as hot as concrete. You can easily get 8-10 years out of turf and it will look good with just minimal care.

Matt,

I lived in Tucson for about 7 years, about a million years ago, and all the houses had grass.. Obviously, things have changed..

I really did not pay any attention to the OP's location... :rolleyes:

Thanks,

Jim R.

A “million” years ago, all of those people probably had private wells OR the older style water meters which didn’t detect low flow very well. So having a lawn was financially possible.

Nowadays, it’s next to impossible for any residential landowner in Tucson to obtain a well drilling permit (all but outlawed by regulation) and every home is connected with an electronic water meter capable of detecting flow rate down to 0.005 gpm (I exaggerate .. but not by much). You can literally hear the screams and howling when the older homeowners get their first monthly water bill AFTER their meter has been replaced … they go from a $50 a month to $500 because now the city can measure all of their leaky faucets and irrigation lines. Once you get that $500 water bill, the first thing you do is go outside with hard rake and start ripping up the sod. Then you call in the local landscape materials truck to dump a 2 ton load of rocks in your front yard and pay a few teenagers $50 each to spread it around for you.

Last edited:
Reactions: Newdude and mknauss

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We have real grass here in Gilbert. Front and back. We’ve had real grass at all 4 of our homes. We only reseed in the fall. My husband keeps our grass beautiful and our water bill is not high.

dog,

Is that real or fake grass? Fake would be ok, but real grass would be a mistake. Just impossible to cut without getting it into the pool.

I like the spa where it is now..

Thanks,

Jim R.
Fake fake fake lol. I had real grass. Biggest pain in my Rear of all time. We are doing turf.

Considering AZ is in a drought and does not have endless water, I choose to do away with 60% of the lawn at my last house and the new one is all desert

that is a win win win choice money, time, water

I will be surprised if you can get it built by summer but you will be way ahead of any big pool builder ( we signed almost a year ago and we are a month away
not to mention all the headaches and incompetence ( we are asking for our final payment back until they are actually interior finish ready)

Considering AZ is in a drought and does not have endless water, I choose to do away with 60% of the lawn at my last house and the new one is all desert

that is a win win win choice money, time, water

I will be surprised if you can get it built by summer but you will be way ahead of any big pool builder ( we signed almost a year ago and we are a month away
not to mention all the headaches and incompetence ( we are asking for our final payment back until they are actually interior finish ready)
We excavate in two weeks. Most everything is lined up rn.

Any updates? I'm in Laveen building pool as well. Do you think you will hit your goal of being completed for Summer?
I just posted an update on the top of my original post. Permit finally approved after going back and fourth with some red line comments with the city. But I am still thinking about submitting a revision to move the equipment to for top right corner above pool. Plumbing would be closer there but electrtic and gas would be a further run. May be better with equipment further away from house.

Reactions: kjjones
I just posted an update on the top of my original post. Permit finally approved after going back and fourth with some red line comments with the city. But I am still thinking about submitting a revision to move the equipment to for top right corner above pool. Plumbing would be closer there but electrtic and gas would be a further run. May be better with equipment further away from house.
Curious as to how long it took from submitted to approved permit with the city? We submitted ours last week and while waiting are getting quotes for all the trades.

Curious as to how long it took from submitted to approved permit with the city? We submitted ours last week and while waiting are getting quotes for all the trades.
It took about 3 business days to get my first rejection with red line comments. Made corrects then another 4 business days to get approval (bill for permit). Another 2 business days after payment to receive my actual permit. So about 1.5 weeks total. I was getting ready to schedule some of the trades but totally forgot to reach out to the pool layout person. The two I contacted are about 3-4 business days out so remember to contact if you have not.

Excavation is scheduled for Thursday 5/5. I will post some pictures once complete.

Shotcrete is so tough in Phoenix area. I know many are having trouble with this stage and/or getting price tag shock when they see the few bids coming in.
How did the excavation go?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.