Southern OK
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool SJ-40
It is time for my own new build thread... YAY..

I already have all my equipment, power and pad complete, it will just switch to the new pool after I empty the old pool into the new pool..

New pool is 19 feet wide by 45 feet long
All Tile
5500 PSI shotcrete

I will be sending out my basic design to have the pro's do the actual pool plans.. Pool Engineering, Inc., Structural Design of Swimming Pools and Residential Improvement Structures

5500 PSI shotcrete
AQURON CPSP on shotcrete shell for waterproofing
3 to 1 mud bed with Anti Hydro mix for waterproofing
MiraFlex Membrane C for positive and negative waterproofing
Mapei Granirapid thin bed adhesive (I would also test Laticrete 254 Platinum if I could find it locally)
Grout: I am still debating and will be testing the following 3 grouts for freeze thaw and submerged tests...
ultracolor-plus-fa
On site made 3 parts portland cement and 1 part sand with anti hydro mix
Laticrete SpectraLOCK Pro Premium

Rails
Artisan Series Stair Rail (ART-1004) | S.R.Smith

6, 1.5 inch nichless LED lights, 2 on steps illuminating both steps and shelf, 2 in sun shelf pointing toward deep end and 2 north and south pointing at each other in the deeper end

Pool square foot for tile with 10% over what I need is 2000 sq ft Ouch :)

This is the 1 inch tile I will be using on the whole pool

peb-111.jpg
This is the 1 inch tile for the ledge and step markings

peb-102.jpg

this is the 6 inch waterline tile
Bora-0642 Sea Blue 6_x6_ pool tile.jpg

I will update this post as I add or change things :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Sean ATX
Here are my basic plans, don't laugh to hard :)

I am asking if this looks good or do I need to change anything.. No thin skin, if it is wrong please let me know, I would rather fix it now while in the planning stage...
@mas985 What do you think of the plumbing layout and pipe diameter?

Updated 12 Apr 2020
20 foot wide and added step length

1618252444539.png

1618252476333.png

1618252497122.png

1617982430690.png

1618254482720.png

1617982453781.png

Last edited:
LOVE your tile picks!! LOVE that you are doing ALL tile!!! Man that is going to look so good!

My thought on the design:
-LOVE the depths!
-Don't care for the steps being in the middle of the shelf. That will cut down on the useable area with them right there. I would put them to one side OR one set on each side (my fav). That leaves most of the shelf open to use.
-shelf in the swim lane-make sure to put some of those marker tiles on the swim lane side of the shelf so it can be seen while swimming towards the shelf under water.
-Love the placement to the house.

Think about putting a rail on one side of the pool by the steps for later down the road.

Kim:kim:

• Love
Reactions: cowboycasey
I thought about the steps on the side, if I did 3 foot steps on both sides it would take 6 foot instead of 4 foot.. But the nice thing about that is it would be 1 single ledge at 13 feet of usable space.... With 2 bubblers in the middle would look AWESOME :)

I really like the idea of the white tiles on the swim lane side, did not think about that...

I have my eye on a rail that I like... Artisan Series Stair Rail (ART-1004) | S.R.Smith

And the deep end ladder Artisan Series Ladder Rail (ART-1003) | S.R.Smith

Thank you very much, that helps :)

Reactions: bmoreswim
What pump are you planning? For the ease of fitting purchase I would do 2" on suction home run like you have it and 1.5 on returns. Eyeballs will never use the larger pipe in supply side just use larger pipe on pad amd manifold, 2" minimum, 2.5" if your pump accepts it to the outside of the flanges.

Btw that's a big pool to tile, but your material selection is excellent, lots of work ahead of you with a full tile job.

What pump are you planning? For the ease of fitting purchase I would do 2" on suction home run like you have it and 1.5 on returns. Eyeballs will never use the larger pipe in supply side just use larger pipe on pad amd manifold, 2" minimum, 2.5" if your pump accepts it to the outside of the flanges.

Btw that's a big pool to tile, but your material selection is excellent, lots of work ahead of you with a full tile job.
excellent suggestions..

I am using all my same equipment and pad..

1.65 hp VS V green motor on 1,5 hp Pentair pump with Clean and clear plus 320 cart filter

I agree on a big job coming up but that is what is wonderful about a tile pool, you can do a little at a time... You have to wait for everything to dry before you fill it anyway :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I am conflicted now...

Swim outs in the deep end or a ladder..

I really like the idea of swim outs but because I am doing all tile I am having a hard time "seeing" how to do it... what if the edge is right in between the 2 inch tiles I am using, do I just cut them down the middle? Fujiwa does not make 1 inch tiles in this style... Maybe a 1 inch marker tile in white from another line... :)

Just figured it out, ohh so simple but I could not "see" it this morning...

Install the white 2 inch tile at the edge on both the upper and lower portion and then cut the blue tile to have the same grout line as the rest, easy peasy :)

Last edited:
This is gonna be epic. Will be watching. Starting my owner builder process down here in FL. This site has been tremendously helpful. We are building a pool on the larger side (IMO), 18x40, anything I should consider when going this large.
Welcome to TFP :)

consider everything, look and think about how you and your family will use the pool and go from there... Do you want a play pool, a deep pool, a lounge pool, each one has there plus and minus....

then spend some time looking at pools on here, find options that you really like and incorporate them in your pool plan... I have been doing that for 8 years on here :)

Any concern with the tiles being slippery on the step into the shelf? Are those glazed tiles? Maybe the two inch with so many grout lines will make it a non-issue.

I hope not :)

With the grout lines every 2 inches it should be just fine.. I think we may slip here and there but nothing bad like falling down.. We will see.. .I have talked with installers that have used this exact tile in another pool and he said it was not an issue at all.. :)
Any concern with the tiles being slippery on the step into the shelf? Are those glazed tiles? Maybe the two inch with so many grout lines will make it a non-issue.

If you think about it, walk in showers often have those same tiles.
Yes, I thought about that, and I have a tiled floor in my shower. But the tiles are not as shiny as the ones shown here seem to be. I guess it's running through my mind because I had called NPT when I was considering tiling my sunshelf, rather than plastering it, and they only recommended a few lines of stone tiles and tiles that had a non-slip coating on them for that application. They were probably just being overly cautious! I was only thinking about Cowboy's first step into the shelf area. I think once you are in the 18 inches of water on the shelf itself, it would not be an issue at all.

Reactions: cowboycasey

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.