Overwhelmed with leveling for new pool.

lack2000

Jun 26, 2019
Oklahoma city
Hello! Just bought an 18x48 intex pool. I thought I had a fairly even spot to set it up, but I have about 1 1/2 difference from one side to the other (I used stakes and a line level). Some have told me no big deal, but most people on this site say it must be more level. so if I level it, do I have to get a sod cutter, or can it be done by hand? If done by hand, what tools do I need and how deep do I dig? Do I need to use pavers for the legs? Sorry, I'm just a bit overwhelmed and I don't have much help.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

We recommend that you are level to within 1". If you are going to dig down, you would want to dig the high side down about 1.5". I don't know what your ground is like to offer advice on tools. A flat blade shovel might be sufficient.
I would think that pavers under the legs are a good idea, These would also need to be cut into the ground.

I thought I had a level yard. But I laid out an area where I was intending to land the pool, same as yours the 18'x48"deep, and started putting down bags of dirt. I got a couple of lawn timbers and a 4' iron rod. I drilled a hole through one end of the timber and set it over the post. Then we put a few 25lb weights on the timber. One near the stake, one in the middle, and one at the edge. Grab a length of rope and start dragging in a circle. I took 2 timbers and put them together to level a 24' area so that I had some forgiveness near the edges.

I thought I had a level yard. But I laid out an area where I was intending to land the pool, same as yours the 18'x48"deep, and started putting down bags of dirt. I got a couple of lawn timbers and a 4' iron rod. I drilled a hole through one end of the timber and set it over the post. Then we put a few 25lb weights on the timber. One near the stake, one in the middle, and one at the edge. Grab a length of rope and start dragging in a circle. I took 2 timbers and put them together to level a 24' area so that I had some forgiveness near the edges.
Thanks for the info! Did you dig the high side down deeper? Also, did you use pavers for the legs?

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

We recommend that you are level to within 1". If you are going to dig down, you would want to dig the high side down about 1.5". I don't know what your ground is like to offer advice on tools. A flat blade shovel might be sufficient.
I would think that pavers under the legs are a good idea, These would also need to be cut into the ground.
Thank you! I tried using a regular spade shovel, but the roots from the grass pulls up 3 to 4 inches of dirt. I'm worried I'm digging to deep. It's also quite difficult to dig out.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.