Overshot Salt

Apr 17, 2018
overland park, ks
I guess my math was off when I calculated the gallons my pool has. Anyway, I added Salt last week and now I have 4700ppm. I have drained a little out but was curious if I should keep draining and refilling until I get to 3500? What is the downside of higher salt levels? Will it irritate eyes or skin?

What SWCG do you have? Please add that to your signature.

Higher salinity can shut down some SWCG's. Others will operate. Most people will be able to tell there is salt in the pool at that level. It will not be harmful to skin or equipment at that level.

Pentair Intellichlor. Will add to Signature. Thanks for the quick reply. I guess I will just leave my salt levels where they are until someone complains about the taste!

One more question. I have been SLAMing for the past several days to clear the pool up. I haven't added CYA to the pool yet figuring that the CYA would hold on to the chlorine. Was that the correct decision?

Your CYA should be at least 30 ppm to SLAM. Chlorine in a pool with 0 CYA has a half life of less than an hour.
Get 30 ppm CYA in the water until your SLAM is complete.

E,

Do not rely on what the IntelliChlor says the salt level is... It is often wrong and has a wide tolerance... You need the Taylor K-1766 salt test kit... Before adjusting the salt level you need to know what the "actual" salt level is vs. what the cell "thinks" it is...

BTW, your cell will run even with a high salt level.. The cell will report high salt, when above 4500 ppm..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.