Arkansas
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Intex Krystal Clear
Hi, I recently purchased an intex salt water generator that came from over seas. It’s set up to run on 230v 50hz with a EU plug. How can I adapt this to run in the US? I tried cutting the plug off and wiring to a standard 110 plug, it powers up but gives the low salt alarm after a couple minutes. I’m guessing it’s due to the voltage difference. Salt levels are at 3300 ppm. Any help on this would be much appreciated.

Only electronics such as computers and phone chargers are set up to run dual voltage as well as dual cycles. You can look in the manual to determine if the unit can function at either 50 or 60 cycles. If so then look to see if the voltage range is 230/240. You may be able to wire to a 240 v socket if the cycles can be either 50 or 60. Alternatively, Voltage can be stepped up or down with special transform but the cycles cannot be changed.
Others may have better ideas but my experience working in foreign countries was that cycles create the most problem with converting products to different voltages.

Here is the transformer that is inside the unit. It does function hooked up to 120v. Unit turns on and you can watch it start to chlorinate, but after a couple of minutes in gives the low salt alarm. I’m not sure how I can convert this over to work correctly.C0E21606-D003-45E2-9EB2-58F2C73979F2.jpeg

Because your input is half of what it needs, the output is also half. Salt detection is done by conductivity. It is seeing low voltage and interpreting it as low salt. Either change out the transformer or give it 230 volts. 240 is more common but is still within the the 10% safe allowance.

Any idea on how I could wire this to 240v? Being as it’s set up as a Euro unit, they get 230v on hot and 0 on neutral. With here for 240v, I would give it 120v on each leg with no neutral. Would it work that way, or would it require a new transformer?

The schematic simply shows a 230vac differential without a neutral. It shouldn't matter if it were from one hot source or two. The 60hz vs 50 hz may make it hum a bit from resonance.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.