Overnight FC loss test

JenF75

Jul 12, 2017
Stouffville, ON, Canada
Is it ok to preform an overnight FC loss test after a pool party that saw 12+ kids swimming for hours on end? Or should I wait until tomorrow to do it? My usually crystal clear water looks a bit cloudy tonight (I can still see the bottom of my pool, but it’s not a clear as usual).

Yeah what she said! Personally I add enough to go to slam level overnight and that's always worked for me.

As for the oclt question I've seen significant chlorine activity a few hours after the pool party so I wouldn't try to do an oclt the same night. Do it the next night to confirm your extra chlorine did the trick.

I had 1 3/4 bottles of bleach on hand (4.25%). I threw all that in, left my SWG on super chlorinate and when I tested this morning, the FC 11.5 and CC 0. Before I put the bleach in last night, the FC was 6 and CC was 0. The water is clear again. Do you think I need to do a OCLT?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Why can't the kids swim? You can safely swim *up to SLAM level* so let'em at it!!

Maddie :flower:

When SLAMing it's safe to swim?? I thought it wasn't.....that's when I mean the pool is off limits because I'm keeping my FC at SLAM level. Which by the way, I failed the OCLT so I've started my SLAM :(. Do any of you ever get to go through a season without needing to SLAM? I thought I was being so super careful about my chemistry and was on top of things and still it wasn't good enough! Arrrgh...LOL

Ok, what’s the secret? I keep a close eye on my chemicals, check my FC almost daily (at least 4-5/week). My CYA is at 70, I keep my FC at 5 and my CC is always 0. What am I doing wrong?!?

We are the only pool on our street, therefore we do attract quite a few neighborhood kids, should I be maybe dumping a few bottles of bleach in the pool before or after the rush of children??

Thats what I like to hear Maddie...my pool has only known TFP (except PB startup) so I hope to match you...

Oh oh......I tested my FC at 1845, it was 28. I added 1 bottle of bleach (trying to keep it at 29-30, just to be on the safe side). Tested now, 3hrs later and FC was 28. Seemed odd, so re-tested. Tested 4 more times and couldn’t reproduce a result! (30, 25.5, 31, 29.5). Unfortunately, being in Canada, I don’t have easy access to reagent refills, and I have to make what I have last until the end of July, which will be my first opportunity to head to the US to pick some up, so I can’t keep re-testing over and over again.

Question 1, how do I know what result is accurate?

Question 2, if the results are so variable, how do you know if you for sure pass an OCLT or not?

FC tests should be more repeatable than that.

At high FC be sure to use two full scoops of the powder.

Ok, what’s the secret? I keep a close eye on my chemicals, check my FC almost daily (at least 4-5/week). My CYA is at 70, I keep my FC at 5 and my CC is always 0. What am I doing wrong?! I would keep it 1-2ppm higher to allow for daily loss and yet still remain over your level.

We are the only pool on our street, therefore we do attract quite a few neighborhood kids, should I be maybe dumping a few bottles of bleach in the pool before or after the rush of children??
Absolutely! Kids don't want to get out to make a bathroom run (what!? interrupt the fun!?!) so consider raising the FC up after kids get together parties. Also some kids may be slathered with sun protection lotions, or hair gels or who knows what? Those things all chew thru chlorine so be aware. I'd suggest testing about an hour after everyone is gone and see what it looks like and treat as needed.

Maddie :flower:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.