Jul 23, 2021
Mchenry, illinois
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi everyone, happy Friday!
So we’re having this huge rainstorm and we just opened our pool a couple days ago and it’s filled 2/3 up the skimmer. I’m sure this rain is gonna feel it too high, how do I drain the extra water off? Is there an easy way?
Thanks!

Attachments

• 1650650288617.jpeg
    1650650288617.jpeg
    49.8 KB · Views: 13
I don’t know how that picture got on my post,
Because we need to know the important details. SAD dog ??????? Defcon 5 and we need to help STAT !!!!!

I'm guessing you have no submersible pump. It is a staple for any pool owner and will be used occasionally with your big pool when you build it. (That's you, right?)

Until you get one ($100 ish at HD/Lowes/Amazon), clamp a hose to the pool rail with the end in the pool a foot deep or so. Submerge the rest of the hose, hand over hand, to get the air out and plug the other end with your finger. Pull the end in your hand out and bring it anywhere lower than the clamped end. Gravity will drain the pool to the height of the clamped hose. Either set it to the perfect height when you set it up, or watch that you aren't draining to much when the time comes.

Because we need to know the important details. SAD dog ??????? Defcon 5 and we need to help STAT !!!!!

I'm guessing you have no submersible pump. It is a staple for any pool owner and will be used occasionally with your big pool when you build it. (That's you, right?)

Until you get one ($100 ish at HD/Lowes/Amazon), clamp a hose to the pool rail with the end in the pool a foot deep or so. Submerge the rest of the hose, hand over hand, to get the air out and plug the other end with your finger. Pull the end in your hand out and bring it anywhere lower than the clamped end. Gravity will drain the pool to the height of the clamped hose. Either set it to the perfect height when you set it up, or watch that you aren't draining to much when the time comes.
Dang, you really know your stuff, even though you are a ‘new dude’ 😂
Ps she’s not sad, she’s just studying the pool to see when it’s time to jump in!
Thanks!

Reactions: newdude
Ps she’s not sad, she’s just studying the pool to see when it’s time to jump in!
Yeah ? Well, the *possibility* of a sad dog is enough to keep the fire under us with a need to help, and pronto. There will be no sad dogs. Not on our watch. No Ma'am.

Reactions: Jennybird
Submerge the rest of the hose,
Even easier is to take the drain end of the hose to a water spigot that is lower than the end in the pool, and fill the hose with water. Take it off the spigot and presto, the siphon is running.

Even easier is to take the drain end of the hose to a water spigot that is lower than the end in the pool, and fill the hose with water. Take it off the spigot and presto, the siphon is running.
I am not a graceful individual and my fine motor skills leave alot to be desired. Think more...... 'Hulk SMASH' and less, oh i dunno, calligraphy or ballet. The return to fill the hose trick is a sure fire way for me to have a 2nd shower that day. But for anyone with more grace than me, (y)(y)(y)(y)

• Haha

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I am not a graceful individual and my fine motor skills leave alot to be desired. Think more...... 'Hulk SMASH' and less, oh i dunno, calligraphy or ballet. The return to fill the hose trick is a sure fire way for me to have a 2nd shower that day. But for anyone with more grace than me, (y)(y)(y)(y)
I think I’m in the same boat, BUT it’s already raining so what’s a big more anyway??

Reactions: newdude
The easiest - easiest way to drain is to pop off the return or skimmer hose (pump shut off) and let the pool drain itself to a height of your choosing. It makes a mess nearby though so plan that out with gutter downspouts or whatever you need to MacGyver the water away from the pool to a well draining area.

*also, be forewarned that messing with the flex pipes on traditional above ground equipment is risky as they break on exactly the 5th time you touch them. Using this draining method may create new problems. Even if it goes back together ok, the clamp you used may decide to blow at the two week mark all Pssssssssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhtttttt.

Hi everyone, happy Friday!
So we’re having this huge rainstorm and we just opened our pool a couple days ago and it’s filled 2/3 up the skimmer. I’m sure this rain is gonna feel it too high, how do I drain the extra water off? Is there an easy way?
Thanks!
On an above-ground pool, no worries, it will evaporate. If it does worry you, use the siphon method mentioned above, fill a garden hose, put one end in the skimmer and lay the other on the ground, water will flow. If this is a standard above ground installation, the pool will never fill to the top of the rails, it will overflow under them. If it doesn't have top rails and is so full it can't hold anymore, only the excess going in will come out, not the whole thing.

On an above-ground pool, no worries, it will evaporate. If it does worry you, use the siphon method mentioned above, fill a garden hose, put one end in the skimmer and lay the other on the ground, water will flow. If this is a standard above ground installation, the pool will never fill to the top of the rails, it will overflow under them. If it doesn't have top rails and is so full it can't hold anymore, only the excess going in will come out, not the whole thing.
IIRC, mine from decades ago just overflowed at the skimmer level and never filled past that point.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.