overflow protection installation??

GregN

Jun 18, 2015
Central NJ
Hello all - I was wondering if anyone has ever installed some type of overflow device on an AGP to prevent water from spilling over the sides of the pool during a heavy rainfall? My concern is that during a heavy rain event the water level will rise and the first place it will overflow is at the top of the skimmer through the hole in the cover, and with enough rain, the water will then spill over the sides of the pool wall at the lowest point. This creates ALOT of water accumulating over a small area, which could weaken the soil and potentially cause a paver to sink along with the post sitting on top of it; or washing out the sand cove; ultimately collapsing the pool.

I was thinking of trying to install a return jet fitting (eye ball removed) at the lowest point along the perimeter of the pool. The return fitting would be installed at a height where the bottom edge of fitting is just a hair higher than the top of the pool skimmer. A PVC pipe could then be attached to the fitting on the outside of the pool to divert the water away from the pool.

Twice within the last 2 weeks we have been hit with storms that dumped over 3" of rain within an hour. Thankfully, I was home on both occasions and just ran my pump to waste to quickly lower the pool level. I don't care to think what would have happened if I was not home.

A disadvantage of the above set-up is the loss of water during pool use, but that can be remedied with a simple plug. The plug could be installed when the pool is not in use ( vacation, etc.).

So, is anyone aware of overflow devices? Or, maybe my concerns are not legitimate.

Tx for any feedback,
Greg

You could easily install a system that would do exactly that :)

One of these

Once of these

however long of 1.5 inch PVC pipe and however 1.5 inch 90 degree fittings.. :)

Splash out would not be much at all to worry about...

Cowboy Casey = tx for the quick response. Yes, that Hayward fitting is just what I was thinking about. And I agree...loss of water during pool use would be insignificant.

I'm curious to hear if any other members have actually installed anything like this or something similar.
Greg

some people just put some pavers under the skimmer angled down and away from the pool like you might do at the base of a roof gutter pipe, to act as a splash pad and direct the flow away.

your idea sounds good too, I would be concerned a real heavy rain will overwhelm a small diameter pipe but is should work most of the time.

Hello all - I was wondering if anyone has ever installed some type of overflow device on an AGP to prevent water from spilling over the sides of the pool during a heavy rainfall? My concern is that during a heavy rain event the water level will rise and the first place it will overflow is at the top of the skimmer through the hole in the cover, and with enough rain, the water will then spill over the sides of the pool wall at the lowest point. This creates ALOT of water accumulating over a small area, which could weaken the soil and potentially cause a paver to sink along with the post sitting on top of it; or washing out the sand cove; ultimately collapsing the pool.

I was thinking of trying to install a return jet fitting (eye ball removed) at the lowest point along the perimeter of the pool. The return fitting would be installed at a height where the bottom edge of fitting is just a hair higher than the top of the pool skimmer. A PVC pipe could then be attached to the fitting on the outside of the pool to divert the water away from the pool.

Twice within the last 2 weeks we have been hit with storms that dumped over 3" of rain within an hour. Thankfully, I was home on both occasions and just ran my pump to waste to quickly lower the pool level. I don't care to think what would have happened if I was not home.

A disadvantage of the above set-up is the loss of water during pool use, but that can be remedied with a simple plug. The plug could be installed when the pool is not in use ( vacation, etc.).

So, is anyone aware of overflow devices? Or, maybe my concerns are not legitimate.

Tx for any feedback,
Greg

Mine just spills over the skimmer hole and then I lower it when I get time, preferably soon because the skimmer stops working allowing things to sink.
That said, the hole in the skimmer lid is pretty big and allows a decent amount of flow.

I wouldn't see it ever being able to exceed that except during a cloudburst and I'm betting a cloudburst is going to beat anything you've got.

I used to worry about it overflowing, but I don't anymore.

PV2 - good idea with the pavers, but that wouldn't work too well for my set up. The surrounding area where the skimmer is located is actually higher than the area is under the skimmer, so any water that hits the pavers would just accumulate around the edges of the pavers.

Cowboy Casey - I agree, 1.5" would probably be able to keep up with the heaviest of rainfalls. I have no experience cutting a hole through the metal pool side wall and liner. My plan would be to attempt this installation either this fall or next spring, after I drop the water level below the skimmer to winterize pool.

Any issues/problems with cutting a hole in pool wall/liner so close to the top edge of pool? I'm assuming a razor blade for liner and appropriately sized metal cutting hole saw for pool wall.

Greg

Newdude - Wow, a skimmer with a built in overflow device. Now there is some forward thinking/engineering design. Any idea who manufactures that skimmer? That design would work provided the diameter of the hole and rate of discharge is large enough to offset the rate of water coming into the pool during a heavy rain event.

Any idea who manufactures that skimmer?
I spent a few minutes googling but came up empty. Hang tight. Someone knows. PM the OP from that thread as well.

You could easily drill what you have and pipe/tube from that.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I spent a few minutes googling but came up empty. Hang tight. Someone knows. PM the OP from that thread as well.

You could easily drill what you have and pipe/tube from that.
In theory, that might work. BUT, my skimmer has already experienced 3 years of sunshine, and that type of plastic can get "brittle" and crack under the strain of the drill bit. However, a hole saw bit that is nice and sharp, with little pressure applied, would probably work.

Reactions: Newdude
a hole saw bit that is nice and sharp, with little pressure applied, would probably work.
I’d start tiny with a pilot hole and work up a few sizes with solid bits. 1/2 inch might get plugged too often with pollen/gunk, but 3/4 should be plenty.

I agree, the skimmer would work better and no metal shavings to deal with, I think the best way is to use your existing skimmer and drill into it and go from there :)

Here is a list of the skimmers Hayward has.. https://www.hayward-pool.com/assets...ts-diagrams/Skimmers-all-categories-Parts.pdf

The 1084 has an overflow port but it is made for inground vinyl and fiberglass pools.. should work just fine for an above ground but may need to support it more with the pipe or some other way..

Annotation 2021-07-15 074928.jpg

PV2 - good idea with the pavers, but that wouldn't work too well for my set up. The surrounding area where the skimmer is located is actually higher than the area is under the skimmer, so any water that hits the pavers would just accumulate around the edges of the pavers.
perhaps a french drain or even some type of basin with a plumbed line to some lower elevation deposit area if you don't want to drill a hole in your skimmer.

perhaps a french drain or even some type of basin with a plumbed line to some lower elevation deposit area if you don't want to drill a hole in your skimmer.
French drain would certainly work, but that would entail a good deal of effort on my part, and I'm getting older and lazier! Upon further inspection from inside the pool, my initial idea won't work, as I don't have enough space/height to install a return jet as the bottom edge of the top rail would interfere. So I'm going to explore the skimmer/drain line idea a bit more.

Reactions: Pv2 and cowboycasey
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.