over whelmed

I have managed other peoples chlorine pools with great success off this site. These other pools were very basic manual pumps and systems. Now we have bought our first house and I have what I would call a fancy system, hopefully my signature and pool math app link to my post. My pool looks great but my numbers are all out of balance. the previous owners used everything the pool store recommended, algaecide, phos control, and others. I am hoping you guys can look at my numbers and ask me questions to help me understand and guide me with this new SWG and variable pump fanciness. I plan on inspecting and cleaning the turbo cell as soon as I get a cell stand. Due to the high chlorine level I changed decrease the generator from 50p to 30p. the pump runs at different amps through out the day but for a total of 12hrs. I plan on reprogramming the pump from scratch as soon as I educate myself on how. Also, on the hot tub the blower popped the fuse then after reset it blew it. I hope it was just a bed fuse...I will replace it and if it pops or blows again then thats another issue. Do I call a pool guy or an electrician? If I want to change out the manual switch for the pool light and hot tub blower, is that a pool guy or electrician? If you can't tell I am over whelmed a bit. Sorry for the confusing post but thats my mind right now with this pool. I am going to tackle the cell inspection and pump programming first. At the same time think about how to get the levels best balanced.

regards,
Dane

Dane,

Your numbers are not all that bad... Just turn the cell down to zero for a few days, until your FC drops to 5 ppm or so.. pH can't be measured accurately when the FC is above 10 ppm.

CYA, TA and CH all look pretty good to me.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Dane,

Your numbers are not all that bad... Just turn the cell down to zero for a few days, until your FC drops to 5 ppm or so.. pH can't be measured accurately when the FC is above 10 ppm.

CYA, TA and CH all look pretty good to me.

Thanks,

Jim R.
Thank you sir, I will do that. I thought the CH needed to be around 400, mine is 600. The water from the tap has a CH of 150. Will TA be off with FC that high? My TA is 120, which is about double the recommended as I see it. I am really excited about this pool, it is beautiful. Whats the best way to add picture of this pool to my profile?

Dane,

I was not trying to say things were perfect, but just not quite "Overwhelmed" bad... :mrgreen:

Let's get the FC down and then see where we are..

CH is a little on the high side, but the only option to reduce it is to drain the water.. Up to you.

I would not worry about TA until we know what your actual pH is.. If still on the high side, adding MA will automatically reduce your TA a little at a time.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: dsilchenstedt
In two days FC has only dropped from 27 to 24.5, which I would normally be ecstatic about but this time I am wondering why. I turned the SWG to off and we've been using the hot tub both nights. This might just be a salt thing but I find the slow drop interesting. Whatcha think? Conditions: sunny/partly cloudy, temp low 70's

Winter. FC loss is much reduced this time of year.
That is true, just haven't ever experience my previous chlorine pools behave so stable, even in winter. New pool growing pains lol. I am having trouble with my 'four wheeled 'The Pool Cleaner'. I have to have my pump RPMs around 3000 and shut off my flow to the main drain and partially to the skimmer. I was reading the manual and it seems that a valve could go on the skimmer hose that helps regulate RPMs. I've also watch a few videos where they have an inline gauge they use to set the proper flow. My three biggest issues right now are the chlorine level, blower on spa pops the blower breaker, and The Pool Cleaner takes feathering the main drain/skimmer valve.

For the breaker issue, I am not an electrician but I did watch some youtube hehehe. the breaker when on still reads it is getting power. I am not sure if that means my fuse is still good. As soon as I turn on the blower it pops and power to fuse shuts off. Turn off blower and switch breaker back on and breaker shows to be getting power. My idea is to get a new breaker and try that first, if that doesn't fix the issue, hire an electrician and find the overload/short.

For the vacuum, I am going to get the adjustable valve for the skimmer hose and see if that helps. After that, I dont know, call a pool company..

Chlorine issue, just wait it out. I already turned off the generator.

Future plan, empty out about 7000 gallons to get CH down to about 350. Also, add a water softener to my entire home.

Last edited:
I tried the pool cleaner when my pool was new. After one try, I returned it and got a robot. Best decision I made after the SWCG for the pool.

A basic Maytronics works great. Active 20/S200/Pentair SE. All the same unit. Call Marina Pool Spa in Denver Co. They can guide you on what will fill your needs. Great prices too.

Reactions: dsilchenstedt

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It has taken 13 days to come down from 27 to 15. that is with several inches of rain. I know winter slows down the chlorine needs but this is way slower than I have ever experienced. Normally I'd be ecstatic but since I don't know this pool, I am a little concerned.

On another note, I contacted Marina pools and ordered a Pentair Warrior SE robot vacuum. Now that is exciting!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.