Outdoor Speaker Questions

Aug 9, 2016
Manorville, NY
So I plan on running speaker wire next weekend for some speakers on either side of our pools waterfall. For aesthetic reasons I was thinking some kind of rock speaker but I am open to just about anything.

We have 2 large planters on either side.

Does anyone have any suggestions for rock speakers (wired) ones. I am probably going with Polk audio 8 attached to my house off my patio and the pool is a good 50 ft away from that. Also any benefit to a rock subwoofer or is that overkill?

Looking forward to any suggestions.

Edit: Right now we are leaning towards the Bose Free Space speakers one in either side of the waterfall if anyone has any feedback on those.

I did rock speakers by TIC audio. You buy direct from the company on eBay. Or other sources might have deals too. I did the TFS 25 because it is 360degrees and gets partially buried to help with bass. They are wired speakers but I play them through a sonos connect to be able to play from my phone. The speakers are $70-$120 each depending what kind you get. The sonos connect is $325

700 sqft +100 sqft sun shelf + 50 sqft spa. //// Jandy ePump 2.7 HP //// Jandy aquapure 1400 SWG /// Wet Edge pearl matrix jet black //// waterfall with single speed pump //// JXI 400 propane heat /// aqualink RS automation

Forgot to mention the amp. Yes, I have an amp connected to the sonos connect. I prefer this method because you can get a more powerful amp and drive more speakers. I have a 12 channel amp but I’m only using 6 so far

700 sqft +100 sqft sun shelf + 50 sqft spa. //// Jandy ePump 2.7 HP //// Jandy aquapure 1400 SWG /// Wet Edge pearl matrix jet black //// waterfall with single speed pump //// JXI 400 propane heat /// aqualink RS automation

Go with the Bose Free space 51, you will not be disappointed. You don’t need one on each side of the waterfall, place one at the waterfall, then one opposite of that. The 51’s are 360 degree sound, and will fill the yard with music no problem.

IMO Bose speakers are overpriced. You can get better performance for less money from any of the top contenders. If you can sneak a subwoofer in somewhere do it, good bass will always lend to a better overall sound. It's difficult to get decent low-end response outdoors. Even if you can't put a subwoofer outside you will still feel the bass if you have a pool house nearby to place it. I have a 20' x 20' home gym just 15' away from my pool where I have a 390 watt mono amp driving two 10" subs in a sealed enclosure with 4 small speakers to handle the rest. I have to be careful not to crank it too loud, I can easily feel the 25 Hz. region in my house 75' away. Always place a sub in the corner of the room if you do this. I also have 4 speakers outside to supply music to a large deck.

I got some rock speakers from Best Buy 2 years ago and along with my two cambridge soundworks speakers on garage/cabana the sound is awesome. The base from these rock speakers and clarity is great. I think they were only $120 for the pair

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks for all the input. I ended up going with 2 Sonos connect amps for 4 Bose free space speakers, 2 in planters next to the pool on either side of the waterfall and 2 in planters beside the house off the patio.

Not the cheapest solution by any means but half a day of trenching and I am very pleased with the sound.

Thank you for all the input everyone

Installed a pair of insigna (Best Buy) rock speakers. Got them from the wife as an anniversary present. They were on sale for $65 for Father's Day 2011. I put them in the corners of the pool screen. I control them with volume controls. The Flamingo Room has a pair of Bose 151 SE. I was quit amazed with the sound coming from these speakers. From the pool we can listen to music in quadraphonic sound :mrgreen: This set up sounds great and will run the neighbors out of their house :cheers: :cheers:
See this thread Outdoor speakers

dbtgallery.php

dbtgallery.php

Controls for both pairs of speakers.

dbtgallery.php

Bose speakers in the Flamingo Lounge.

dbtgallery.php

dbtgallery.php

Pic showing the Dolphin Bar and Grill. To the left is the Flamingo Lounge.

dbtgallery.php

See this thread Outdoor speakers

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.