Outdoor Smart WiFi Timer - Wiring for Booster Pump operation only when main Pool Pump on

bahama bob

Aug 31, 2020
Central Florida
My mechanical timer for pool pump stopped working so decided to take the plunge and go modern with WiFi models (from Amazon).

Amazon Link: DEWENWILS Outdoor Smart Wi-Fi Outlet Box, Heavy Duty 40A 120-277 VAC 2HP Wireless Controller Timer Switch for Pool Water Heater SPA, Compatible with Smart Phone, Alexa, Google Assistant, UL Listed: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

Manufacturer link: Outdoor Smart Wi-Fi Outlet Box

I've got two of them: one for pool pump and one for the Polaris booster pump. I've got them wired independently at this time (each connected to 240VAC) and they are working great (as independent timers). Wife loves being able to remotely turn off loud pumps when enjoying the pool area!

My problem is this - the two previous mechanical timers were wired such that the booster pump would ONLY operate/run when the main pool pump was engaged/on (main pool pump timer was on). I would like to wire these WiFi controllers the same but cannot figure out how to make that work. I will attach some pictures of the old wiring - it appears that the Booster timer had one hot leg hard wired and the other controlled by the timer with the controlled line being supplied by the main pool pump switched line. So if I'm interpreting it correctly only one of the HOT legs on the booster pump was controlled by the timer and would only engage when it had power being supplied from the pool pump load side.

Any suggestions on how to wire? Should I follow the same setup as was with the mechanical timers?

Attachments

• WiFi Wire Diagram.PNG
    WiFi Wire Diagram.PNG
    55 KB · Views: 87
  • Pool Mechanical Timer.PNG
    Pool Mechanical Timer.PNG
    218.8 KB · Views: 66
  • Booster Mechanical Timer.PNG
    Booster Mechanical Timer.PNG
    252.1 KB · Views: 55
  • WiFi Timer Wiring Options.JPG
    WiFi Timer Wiring Options.JPG
    80.3 KB · Views: 53
Bob,

Then the answer is easier..

1. Connect both Timer connections to constant AC power..

2. Wire the pool pump per the pool pump diagram

3. Connect the Booster pump per the Booster diagram EXCEPT do not connect Com 1 or Com 2 to L1 or L2 from the breaker.

4. Instead connect the Booster pump smart box Com 1 to the Pool pump NO 1..

5. Connect the Booster pump smart box Com 2 to the Pool pump NO 2..

This means that unless the pool pump is on, the booster will never come on..

Please let me know if this does not make sense to you..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thanks Jim - understand perfectly the logic behind #4 and #5 above ... whats a little fuzzy is just how to supply constant AC to the booster pump timer since I would no longer be connecting booster pump COM1/COM2 to L1/L2 from breaker. For the booster timer I presume that I need to wire the booster pump timer L/N to pool pump timer COM1/COM2. Is that correct?

I really appreciate you taking the time to help in this.

Thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.