Outdoor kitchen countertop choice, granite vs. concrete

mknauss

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Bronze Supporter
May 3, 2014
Laughlin, NV
No experience with concrete but have granite. In retrospect I should have used quartz. Granite is a pain as it soaks up oils. I have tried to seal it but does not seem to last long out in the elements.

Good Luck.

wjr75

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 6, 2013
IL
We have black tile and man does it get hot in the sun. Keep the heat factor in the equation if it is exposed to the sun.

Ocgasman

Bronze Supporter
Jun 10, 2015
Orange County, CA
I have granite in a covered outdoor kitchen. It's fine and works well and cost was the only reason I didn't go with Quartz over granite. My neighbor has concrete and it's fine also. Really personal preference and cost choices. All things being equal (which of course they're not), I would choose Quartz over granite and concrete every day of the week.

santacruzpool

Gold Supporter
Feb 24, 2015
Santa Cruz, CA
We went with concrete, in a light gray finish to keep it cooler in the direct sun. Darker concrete and granite can get pretty hot. We used 1ft square granite tiles for a BBQ island at our last home and they worked pretty well.

We have looked at also prefabricated quartz, but it wasn't rated for outdoor use - the outdoor versions were too pricey for us.