Out of town, pool about to overfill

Dcookster

Silver Supporter
Apr 23, 2017
Stafford Va
Should there be concerns with my pool over filling? I’m out of town and my daughter tells me the pool is filled to the top and will over flow soon. Its suppose to continue raining on and off for a few more days. I’m guessing all should be ok and the water will empty out of the hole on top of the skimmer. Flash flooding going on in Va, thanks in advance with any replies.

The question is where the water that flows out the top of your pool will go to? Depends on your topography.

While you think your pool is perfectly level there is usually one area that is the low point where the water will overflow the coping and run off from. I once left the fill hose on for too long and found out what section my pool overflows from.

It does not sound like you have someone at home who can drain down the pool some.

Can your daughter drain some water for you? You can use your vacuum hose to siphon the water out.
Put one end in the water attached to your vacuum head. Feed the rest of the hose into the water until the whole thing is underwater and full of water. quickly pull the free end out and over the side onto the ground and pull it to a safe area. Have her keep an eye on it and pull the hose out of the water when it gets to the desired level, halfway down the skimmer.

Can’t get my daughter to drain some water, she says it coming out the backside side of skimmer lid whole on top. 6inches of rain fall according from the local VA news and more to come. Wondering what I’m going back to is killing me? Pool was on solid ground but not so much any more being soaked for a week? I left the pool with 2 chlorine pucks floating since I left everything being on self pilot since last Saturday. I know this site doesn’t recommend those pucks but I haven’t got my salt water generator up and going yet. Hopefully my water chemistry isn’t to far out wack when I get home? I’m going to get my adult kids schooled up when I get back home.

Would your daughter be more comfortable if she used a garden hose to drain some water out of it? Syphoning water with a simple garden hose is pretty simple. YouTube can be very helpful to see how it's done but basically just be sure your hose is full of water, place one end downhill and put the other end into the pool water.

The pool overflowing is annoying, but probably not harmful. It will dilute any chemicals you have in there, so you will need to test and dose when there is a break in the weather. You may ask daughter to pour in a jug of bleach to bump the levels back up. This was my pool during a heavy rain: 151 - YouTube

You do need to consider washout around the base of the pool if there is just dirt there. Constant water pouring over in one spot can dig a hole

True, that is why I put bricks under my skimmer. In a pinch you can use anything that will deflect water to protect that area. Weigh down a plastic garbage bag with some rocks if you don't have anything else.

Speaking from a voice of experience here --> Something else you need to consider when draining your vinyl liner pool is the weight of the water is holding the liner in place. Just think about how much water weighs and you remove 2 - 3 inches how much weight you just removed from your pool. If you have a high water table you run a risk of floating your liner. I have a cyclical high water table in my area. During early spring we get lots of rain and my water table is really high.

Many people think if there pool over flows there will be mass flooding in the back yard. This is not the case it is only going to over flow by how much rain you are receiving.

Speaking from a voice of experience here --> Something else you need to consider when draining your vinyl liner pool is the weight of the water is holding the liner in place. Just think about how much water weighs and you remove 2 - 3 inches how much weight you just removed from your pool. If you have a high water table you run a risk of floating your liner. I have a cyclical high water table in my area. During early spring we get lots of rain and my water table is really high.

Many people think if there pool over flows there will be mass flooding in the back yard. This is not the case it is only going to over flow by how much rain you are receiving.

This thread is about an overflowing above ground pool. In this case there is no concern with floating the liner.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
True, that is why I put bricks under my skimmer. In a pinch you can use anything that will deflect water to protect that area. Weigh down a plastic garbage bag with some rocks if you don't have anything else.

Since my pool in dug is 18 in. in the front and a sloping clay backyard I got extra paranoid and put lots of landscape drainage in around my pool. I have mole-pipe surrounding the buried base area that drains out to river rock in back area where the equipment pad is. The river rock works well for foot traffic and drainage. Since the pool is about .5 inches off-level too I am always overflowing a bit when I fill too much, have rain or lots of people in the pool.

For next time... It seems an overflow port would be a very simple thing to install in an AG pool, then you can route a hose or pipe connected to it wherever you want...

Last edited by a moderator:
Well got home and water had stopped coming out of top of skimmer, being that I haven’t backed filled yet, Mother Nature has giving me a helping hand (that’s a plus) Mother Nature filling in my electrical conduit before roughin inspection (that a minus).�� hooked my vacuum and siphoned out 3 to 4 inches of water and that work great, took no time at all. Removed my floating chlorine pucks (2) and did some testing. Here is my results.
CL 1
PH 7.5
FC 1
CC .5
TL 1.5
CH 75
TA 60
CYA 30

last time I used liquid chlorine (Bleach) was last Friday, almost a week ago, these results are with about 6/7 inches of new rain water. Northern Va got pounded while I was in Tennessee. I little adjustment with baking soda, stabilizer, bleach and I should be good. Thanks all the people on this site, TFP is the greatest!

Hopefully I’m going to tackle my SWG this week. Tired of buying bleach. Haha

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.