Out of R-0013 for CYA

kd did

Gold Supporter
May 5, 2017
Centennial, Colorado
We started opening our pool yesterday, and I realized that I must not have had the lid on tightly enough and I am out of the R-0013 reagent. This is probably a dumb question, but is there anyway to test for CYA without it? I have the TF-100 test kit. Current readings are
FC 1
CC .05
TA 130
Ph 7.8
CYA ??
And I just went out to check on the water temp to add to this post just to find that the thermometer seems to have broken sometime between yesterday and today. Which means whatever the liquid was to measure the water temp is now in our pool........should I be concerned? Hope these are the only two leaks I have this year!!:oops:

I’m not sure about your area, but in my town the local pool store sells Taylor reagents. They are more expensive than tftestkits but might get you out of a temporary pinch. I wouldn’t worry too much about the thermometer, once you find your CYA value you’ll want to bring FC up to SLAM level anyway.

Reactions: kd did
What color was the liquid in the thermometer? If it was red or blue, it most likely was alcohol with coloring added.

If it was gray, it could have been mercury. But not many thermometers use mercury anymore.

If the liquid in your thermometer was red, then it was most likely alcohol with red dye and nothing to be concerned about.

Oops, Randrx2 beat me to it. ?

I’m not sure about your area, but in my town the local pool store sells Taylor reagents. They are more expensive than tftestkits but might get you out of a temporary pinch. I wouldn’t worry too much about the thermometer, once you find your CYA value you’ll want to bring FC up to SLAM level anyway.
Exactly-I was wanting to get going with a SLAM but not sure about starting without a CYA value.

Add 5 ppm FC worth of liquid chlorine to the pool each day with the pump on until you get our R0013 reagent and can test CYA.

Add 5 ppm FC worth of liquid chlorine to the pool each day with the pump on until you get our R0013 reagent and can test CYA.
Thanks Marty! I was thinking along those same lines, but was unsure of what to aim for. Honestly, the water isn't too bad-more dirty looking than green as our cover didn't really do its job and we have a nice layer of sand/dirt on the bottom. The hubby is vacuuming as I type. I ordered replacement reagent from TFTestkits this morning, so hopefully it will be here soon. Thanks again!

Reactions: mknauss
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.