Our pool is green and pool store says to replace sand

Absolutely no way to know. The strength of the pool essentials liquid chlorine is an unknown variable. I've bought some that I believe was over 12% based on how much it raised my FC, I think they make it stronger than the label says because they know it is going to lose strength.

Reactions: Smileysjs
So the pool has remained clear. I’ve been slacking on checking the pool. I’m literally the only one working on it. I checked today and cya is nonexistent and the fc is around 5. I also ordered a swg and it’s being delivered today.
Should We install it today? My husband still hasn’t fixed the leak so we’ll do both at the same time.

How long has it been since you tested CYA? Have you replaced a good chunk of water lately? When you install the SWG raise the CYA up to 70. You can install whenever you want, just keep in mind that until the CYA is raised you will need to keep a close eye on your FC level so it doesn't drop too low. If you want you can go ahead and raise CYA to 30 now and add the rest to reach 70 after the SWG is installed.

Reactions: Major_in_MS
How long has it been since you tested CYA? Have you replaced a good chunk of water lately? When you install the SWG raise the CYA up to 70. You can install whenever you want, just keep in mind that until the CYA is raised you will need to keep a close eye on your FC level so it doesn't drop too low. If you want you can go ahead and raise CYA to 30 now and add the rest to reach 70 after the SWG is installed.
Yes we added more water because the level was low. Now it’s a little above normal. I just added muriatic acid and will check in another hour. The last time checked cya was probably a week ago.

You can, but it is kind of a hassle to get in and out. What I did is get a long handle soft brush from the car care section and get in the pool and brush the back side of the ladder. I also poured some of my chlorine directly in that spot to be sure it got behind the ladder.

I had my water tested at the pool store cause I was curious what the salt level was. It showed my cya as being 14ppm. Pool math said I needed a gallon and a quart of liquid stabilizer. So I came home and added 2-128oz jugs of muriatic acid to the pool. I just did another cya test and I filled the tube all the way and still see the dot.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Is your FC at slam levels? If so, do you have a pH meter? The pH test in your test kit won't give you a good result if your FC is greater than 10.

Yesterday I added 7 -40lb bags of Morton pool salt. It lightened my liner some. 😳Today I turned on the swg for the first time. I received my salt testing kit. It looks like it has 2400ppm. What does my salt level need to be? Also how often should I perform a whole test of the pool?

What does my salt level need to be?
Each SWCG cell manufacturer has different salt level requirements. You should have a user manual or perhaps a chart inside the door of your control box that will tell you your salt level range.
Also how often should I perform a whole test of the pool?
Once you learn your pool, you can test some things less often.
Different variables will affect how often you need to do different tests.
Chlorine should be done daily until you see that the SWCG is maintaining your chlorine levels.
pH should be done daily until you find the TA level that keeps your pH where you want it.
TA should be checked after adding something that will raise or lower it.
CH should be checked more often if your fill water has high calcium levels to make sure your CSI does not get too high.
CYA really only needs to be checked after adding stabilizer or when a significant amount of water has been lost.
Once salt gets in the range for your SWCG, it only needs to be tested when a significant amount of water has been lost.

Did you test your water before adding all that salt in? Pools that aren't freshly filled actually already contain salt from the other chemicals they've added breaking down in the water. A little salt gets left behind and can actually start to add up .....

What does your SWG manual say you need for salt level? They're all different.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.