Our New Pool Build and The FUN (i.e. Stress) that Goes Along with it!

And with most things they've done, they've caused new issues.
I was thinking if they did not care enough to TELL you when it happened, and you and I both know they knew, then there is NO way they would use enough care to not make a bigger mess of things

Now Sharpie makers come in many different colors now. Go find all of the ones in that color tone and see which one matches the best. That is what I did for my kitchen tile and it worked great!

Thank you, kimkats!
I got your back!! :hug:

Kim:kim:

• Love
Reactions: MeowMeow724
I was thinking if they did not care enough to TELL you when it happened, and you and I both know they knew, then there is NO way they would use enough care to not make a bigger mess of things

Well.. the crew that did the tile and coping are the same that cut the ground wire in a gazillion places and not only threw pieces of it attached to mortar in the debris pile; they denied it when the PM asked them. And also put a ding and surface scratch on my husband's truck; but we don't have "proof" of that one.
So, I am sure they wouldn't care to tell us when it happened, or admit that they did the tile damage, either.

Now Sharpie makers come in many different colors now. Go find all of the ones in that color tone and see which one matches the best. That is what I did for my kitchen tile and it worked great!

I will get to looking! Need to buy a whole rainbow of dark teals, greens, blacks.. LOL

I got your back!! :hug:

You always have, and I cannot ever thank you enough!!!! :love::hug:

• Wow
Reactions: kimkats
Well.. the crew that did the tile and coping are the same that cut the ground wire in a gazillion places and not only threw pieces of it attached to mortar in the debris pile; they denied it when the PM asked them. And also put a ding and surface scratch on my husband's truck; but we don't have "proof" of that one.
[/QUOTE}
GURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR UNREAL!!! Yeah we made the right call........................keep them way away from anything you care about!!!!!

I will get to looking! Need to buy a whole rainbow of dark teals, greens, blacks.. LOL
I forget where I saw a whole rainbow...........They had them in a round turny around thing with oh so many colors! I think it might have been Office Depot.

Thanks for the love! :hug:

• Love
Reactions: MeowMeow724
Sounds like you are having the same types of crews that keep showing up at my house!

Ohhh yeah, we've a lot of "fun" during this project, to say the least!
Good luck to you... it sure is a PITA sometimes, but in the end, it is still a beautiful pool we get to use as we want (and warm enough..LOL)

Well in other news.. we're pressing on with the rest of the backyard finally.

The paver crew came by yesterday for what I thought was just to see what anchors we were using that weren't holding in the concrete, because I had gone back and forth with the owner about how the anchors were not staying in the concrete and I thought maybe it was the concrete they installed somehow. Welp, they showed up with a crew of 6 at 7am, looked at the anchors, we talked for a few, then the owner went to the store and got other ones that would work better (which he did NOT have to do, at all). The crew that was still here started putting up posts.. hubby and I looked at each other like "what is happening?!".. we went along with it and helped put them in place for a little bit because after all, we had already put this thing up twice and had to take it down because we ran into problems with the placement of the footers and then the anchors weren't working the second time... so might as well get it up with help while we can, right?! But the timing was bad; we had to go inside to a conference call so we couldn't babysit/help after the first little bit.

The result is that the posts are a little put of square diagonally, so we're working it and hoping for the best. We cannot easily move the posts since they are now anchored to concrete. We have the rest of the bolts and the corner braces to install and are hoping that will help square it up a bit.. but not confident it will.

I mean the crew was great and all, super helpful as they did not have to help with this because we told them we'd install it ourselves, but I think they really want to get the pavers done, which they can't until the gazebo is done so they wanted to help move it forward. They're a lil hasty ?... and honestly don't really communicate well.

They still have to cut the pavers around the posts, fill the paver additions with polymeric sand and compact. We're set to start the irrigation and gravel/sod on the 15th with another company.

Yipes!

I think I could write a book on all of the mistakes/lessons learned with this whole project. :ROFLMAO:

Attachments

• IMG_20200406_141654535.jpg
    IMG_20200406_141654535.jpg
    701.4 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
Just to keep the theme going...
Irrigation crew was here yesterday installing pipes and they left me some blue glue on the new pavers. ?‍♀️

And when they were trying to ax through a root, the 2 rear paver borders separated from the vibration. They were axing a root pretty aggressively within the 2 ft or so margin between the pavers and our fence. Tight area for sure. I say we're lucky they didn't slam into the gazebo (or maybe they did, I haven't checked that side..) or hurt themselves.

They were going to clean it today but I asked them not to, and I'd ask the paver company to come assist. Really because I was skeptical they could be cleaned so if they needed to be replaced, they could be in quick order rather than losing another day, especially since the rock and sod starts tomorrow.

Thankfully, the paver co came today and they definitely couldn't be cleaned and had to be replaced. We had basically just enough bricks left for them to make work. There's still one little "drip line" a few inches long on one of the pavers but I'll deal with that later.

Do I just have the worst luck, or do contractors just generally have issues? Geez. It's not like I've hired any fly-by-night company. I research contractors and meet with multiple to get a feel for them in addition to seeking online written feedback. ?‍♀️

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200415-222059.png
    Screenshot_20200415-222059.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 36
OH adult WORDS NO!!!!!! UNREAL!!!

Can you get your hands on any more stones that you can put back for just in case stuff? You do seem to have the worst luck in good workers on your site :( The PB is only as good as the people he hires for the work...........he needs to rethink who he is hiring!

OH adult WORDS NO!!!!!! UNREAL!!!

Can you get your hands on any more stones that you can put back for just in case stuff? You do seem to have the worst luck in good workers on your site :( The PB is only as good as the people he hires for the work...........he needs to rethink who he is hiring!

I only have a few of the small squares left. At this point there are so many different color batches mixed in with our pavers I am sure it'll be fine if in the future we add another...... LOL

I certainly do have the worst luck. Even today with the landscape crew things are popping up and misunderstandings/miscommunications are creeping up. I think we've worked it out but we will see the end result.

The new pavers and landscape co are companies I hired, and not the PB. The irrigation co is a sub of the landscape co I hired. So apparently I am doing something wrong although as I said, I research, ask for referrals, and meet with multiple companies.. apparently I make the wrong choices a lot and should change my criteria or do the opposite of what I have been deciding? LOL

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You ARE doing all of the right things...............not sure why it is not working out in your favor :(

Terrible luck? LOL

We had landscaping install here last week and Saturday... he underestimated the rock we needed, so we didn't get to finish that off and have to pay $600 more to get it. ?‍♀️

The sod that was delivered was full of mildew/fungus.. at least one or two pallets. The sod that was delivered was notably not fresh which it normally is, so the landscape company was very surprised. Thought it was usable because the stuff under the 1st layer looked ok. Then as they got to another pallet they saw all the nastiness. So, he decided to NOT install ANY of it, went to the supplier and told them they had to pick up this stuff and get us new FRESH stuff. So they took up all they had put down and now we have to have all 6 pallets taken away and have new stuff delivered and try again.

I tell ya... it continues at every step.....

Not to mention I have a roof issue at our rental property and the roofer I called fixed one thing (was short sighted but still needed to be fixed), and cannot find the source of the problem because it didn't fix it. We got a nasty storm last night and the counter was full of water again. Square one....... ay yi yi.

But with all the bad.... There is good. We got the gazebo done and fire table set under it and enjoyed a glass of wine poolside the other night. ?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200420-152741.png
    Screenshot_20200420-152741.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 35
  • Screenshot_20200420-152730.png
    Screenshot_20200420-152730.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 37
  • Screenshot_20200420-152803.png
    Screenshot_20200420-152803.png
    412.5 KB · Views: 38
  • FB_IMG_1587414537661.jpg
    FB_IMG_1587414537661.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
Question on the pool filter........
We cleaned it a little while back but may need to again soon due to all the construction projects we've had going on, as well as crazy vegetation.
So, question is about the gauge. We had it set at "pool school" as to where the red and green needles were at "good" range. However, after we cleaned it, we did not move the needles. Not sure we were supposed to?
I ask because for one, I wonder if we were supposed to move the needles.. and if so... to what???
And, two, because the black needle is just past the red needle (notably when it's on a higher speed) already which I find odd since we cleaned it not all that long ago and we have a pretty large filter..........

Green needle needs to STAY on the pressure it runs when clean on your normal pump speed (for me that is low speed). The red needle should be set at 25% over the clean pressure and stay there. This is a visual for you. "Oh look the pressure is normal" "Hey I see the pressure is going up towards the red needle. I know I will need to clean the filter soon." Okay the pressure is at the red needle it is time to clean it!"

Green needle needs to STAY on the pressure it runs when clean on your normal pump speed (for me that is low speed). The red needle should be set at 25% over the clean pressure and stay there. This is a visual for you. "Oh look the pressure is normal" "Hey I see the pressure is going up towards the red needle. I know I will need to clean the filter soon." Okay the pressure is at the red needle it is time to clean it!"

Ok.
So after I clean it (and each time I clean it), do I start it up on the normal running speed and adjust the green needle to be at where the black needle is (pressure indicating needle)....which becomes its (new) normal running pressure? I assume at some point it'll get to a high enough point that it means I need to get new filters?
Our pump runs on 2 different speeds at 2 different times of the day. Honestly, I'm not even sure if that's needed. It was how it was initially setup, running 2 different speeds but 24 hours a day. I bumped it down to about 14-16 hrs a day.
I don't know why this confuses me so much but I feel so lost on this filter pressure thing.

Your clean filter pressure should always be about the same place. After a while it might not go as low as before then you know you need to deep clean your filter (do a search for TSP cleaning here making sure to use the G button). That will not happen in a while, a good, long while!

You can turn the speed down to the lowest your SWG is happy with AND you only need to run it long enough for your SWG to make the FC your pool needs for the current season........summer equal longer pump time OR higher % on the SWG. Winter means less pump run time and almost no SWG %. Spring and Fall adjust as needed for the temps and pool use.

I kept a journal for the first couple of years and found my pools patterns for each season then found the average for FC and pump run needs.

You will get it. You are still at the bottom of the learning curve.............after a while you will get be going down to the "Oh I got this stuff" and be able to help others learn it!!!

The filter pressure is below the green when in lower speed.
I do think I run it on higher speed too often. I turn it to that when I do acid (every. Single. Day.) And when there's a lot of vegetation. Maybe the vegetation will slow down soon. Fingers crossed!

Lookie here! ?

Attachments

• 123_1_22.jpg
    123_1_22.jpg
    487.2 KB · Views: 42
  • Love
Reactions: kimkats
Been following along on your build. Everything looks great! Love the pavers! I know you must be happy to finally have the sod down!

--Jeff

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.