Our First Pool

Looking good.

Is shell stone the same as shellock?

We are also in Florida and are weighing our decking options between pavers, travertine, and shellock.

Read about pavers getting hot on your feet and travertine slipperiness/maintenance.
Where in Florida?
I already had installed this on front and rear porch pre pool, and it does not get hot at all!

Had some slowdowns but getting closer to completion for our project. Time for an update here.
Waterline Tiles and grouting has been completed. We chose to go with black grout as the glass tiles had black mixed in. We used Laticrete permacolor select which seemed to be a PIA with the separate color bags. Seemed to take the installer longer than I thought it would. I considered epoxy grout but it was SUBSTANTIALLY more expensive. Hopefully it will still last us many years.

All the travertine wall tiles are in as well.

We installed the intellicenter and ran 1” conduit for line and low voltage wiring. Then we formed the walkway and pad and poured.

I am still waiting on equipment to continue install. Also have to wait a bit for concrete to cure to install the shellstone tiles.

here are some photos
FE32BA7E-7E9B-45B6-B391-22C02C544664.jpeg
CB178D06-63DB-473F-B919-FD6A8EA6B363.jpeg70B95D98-4CF9-4F46-8EEC-FE46CDA1C8E5.jpegB6368422-3185-4FCF-B32C-12DFBD7C143D.jpegE9850941-193E-4803-843C-BBD82D9919E2.jpeg12CB5FD2-0BC6-4E08-BF8B-062695AAD66B.jpeg

Attachments

• ED150CFD-B922-43D9-BA48-A4669524255D.jpeg
    ED150CFD-B922-43D9-BA48-A4669524255D.jpeg
    493.9 KB · Views: 11
The electrical install looks great! Somebody has some pride in their work! Oh yeah, tiles look good too! 😜

You might have mentioned this previously, and I missed it, but what are the holes in the deck, on either side of the wall?

--Jeff

Thx Kim
We now have to settle on a plaster. Seems this is a common occurrence when building a pool. Would like some form of aggregate / pebble finish. We initially thought of Midnight Blue stonescapes with puerto rican blend but I cannot find an installer in S florida that seems to specialize in this finish. Some guys say sure but don’t instill much confidence when asking questions about the application process. Seems that diamond brite finish is quite popular down here (maybe because of price).
We found 2 pebble tec installers that seem very reputable but the cost is quite high. My wife really likes the pebble brilliance (midnight sound) after we went to see John’s pool in a different color pebble brilliance. One of the installers (pool boy plastering) gave the better price and I am leaning that way so far. We never thought these plaster choices would cost so much more.
470A86DE-5F1C-4290-B650-B2D705B14AAC.jpeg78123A17-0B8D-4058-A829-DA4AD400D597.jpeg

The electrical install looks great! Somebody has some pride in their work! Oh yeah, tiles look good too! 😜

You might have mentioned this previously, and I missed it, but what are the holes in the deck, on either side of the wall?

--Jeff
Jeff those are Pentair led laminars (without the insert and cover)
Thx for the props! Love a clean install, really looking forward to putting this all together. Never done any of this before so I have been looking and reading about other installs so I can pickup some tips to implement into my own pad plumbing.

Reactions: Turbo1Ton

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Gonna have issues with water and the weep screed on the house wall be the equipment pad....there should be approx 4" of clearance.
There is 5.5” clearance between pad and wall except for where the heater will sit and where the wall shed will go. I will excavate all the sand in there and fill with decorative rocks. I sloped the cement outwards towards the fence as well and layed pvc pipe between the drainage segments and a pvc accross the walkway to the yard. Will also install gutter above the pool pad roofline to keep the roof runoff under some control. I did as much as I could think of before pouring.

Have you felt this kind of plaster in a pool. Make sure to feel it with our knees and elbows as these are the parts rough plaster will "get".
It really only matters what the misses likes! Happy Wife Happy Life! We went to see it at a fellow forum members house and she loved it. She thinks the mini pebble looks like roof shingles.

here is a photo of the finish we went to see with our samples under water laying on his plaster.
5F8C4F18-C8D7-48D3-B7D0-956CA893AD05.jpeg
There are 2 pebble brilliance samples and a pebble sheen dark blue. The one my wife liked is the farther top one. I hear alot of complaints from owners of diamond brite finishes in darker colors in regards to blotching and fading of the color in the finish (im guessing in the exposed cement). I would imagine that since there is little exposed cement in aggregate finishes, this may help with discoloration and such.

Happy wife it is then!!

The blotcheness of plasters is mostly due to the skills or lack of skills the installers have. I am going to share a set of links I have on how to get the best plaster job out there:

Ten Guidelines for Quality Pool Plaster Best one of all
All Plaster Finishes Should Last 20 Years
Not All Color Pigments are Good for Pools How to pick a good color for plaster.
A Plastering 'Watch List' | Professional Watershaping | Watershapes
Trouble Free Pool
Trouble Free Pool

I hope you find info helpful. It is a lot so take it slow.

Kim :kim:

Happy wife it is then!!

The blotcheness of plasters is mostly due to the skills or lack of skills the installers have. I am going to share a set of links I have on how to get the best plaster job out there:

Ten Guidelines for Quality Pool Plaster Best one of all
All Plaster Finishes Should Last 20 Years
Not All Color Pigments are Good for Pools How to pick a good color for plaster.
A Plastering 'Watch List' | Professional Watershaping | Watershapes
Trouble Free Pool
Trouble Free Pool

I hope you find info helpful. It is a lot so take it slow.

Kim :kim:
Kim Thanks
I had read through some of that and remember something about pigments also. Seems hard to find a quality plaster company when I am not in the business. I will look through some of that again as it has been several months since I first did.

Reactions: kimkats
Just ordered a TF-100 test kit to start familiarizing myself with it. Does it include the box? I saw they sell it separately.
Also got a speed stirrer as it looks like it could be useful as well as an extra testing cylinder in case I lose or break one. I own a saltwater reef tank and am already familiar with titration tests, these seem to be very similar.

also picked up the ph meter although not entirely sure about the accuracy

If you bought the TF-100 kit then it should come in the box. You will love this test kit. It is a lot like your fish one for sure!

Kim:kim:
Your right, i had sent an email and they responded with a yes as well. I have watched a few videos and it looks pretty straight forward.

I am getting things ready to plumb and wire the pool pad. Trying to find as much info with tips and tricks that I can. Planning on plumbing the pad with 2.5” pvc, but seems like the heater and swg cell come in 2”. I found a 2.5” adapter for our filter but the cell and heater I will have to reduce unfortunately. Ron from the forums here has been EXTREMELY helpful with the planning, especially with the intellicenter wiring. I will document and post once I get underway. Maybe i overthink some of this stuff but I dont want to botch it.

i am also looking for some type of high flow strainer forour sheer descent as it is fed from a dedicated water feature pump.I ran 2.5” pvc to the sheer so was thinking of installing a Tee to create a feed loop and installing 2 strainers on either side so it will impact flow less than a single strainer on the main line.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.